Dual monitor set up - 144hz - only 1 DVI input on GPU

cmhicks

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just bought 2 Acer GN246HL 24" monitors, 144hz. I currently only have 1 set up and running until my dual monitor stand comes in. I have never set up two monitors before. I would like to run both monitors at 144hz if possible. I do have a dual link cord right now and I'm running 1 monitor at 144hz and it's great. I have an Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA FTW+ GPU. it only has one input for DVI.

Can I run both monitors at 144hz? Dual link DVI splitter cable maybe?

If not, can I run one at 144hz (for gaming) and then still access the other monitor (while gaming) but as a separate screen?

Sorry, I have never used a dual monitor setup before. I don't want to extend the displays, just use one for gaming and one for looking things up while I game. I also sell on ebay and two monitors is great for that as well.

Solution
if you only have one DVI port then you will need to get another video card to use two. but since you have two hdmi's you can set it up that way. http://i61.tinypic.com/nl4ebq.jpg here is a great info graph on what you can and can not do with HDMI. and yes you can set that up you can have a game just run on one monitor alot of streamers do this.

FuzzyPeaches

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
it depends on what you want to do. If you are going to use a splitter it will just stretch across both screens but if you hook both monitors up to the gpu you will have that dual monitor experience and yes you should be able to both run them at 144 hz

cmhicks

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would like two separate screens, so then no splitter. My issue is that my GPU only has 1 DVI port, 2 hdmi, and 1 displayport. So how can I run both monitors at 144hz if my GPU only has 1 input for DVI?

Also, is there a settings where I can play a game on one monitor and the other just stays on the desktop, internet, etc?

Thanks for the reply!

FuzzyPeaches

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
if you only have one DVI port then you will need to get another video card to use two. but since you have two hdmi's you can set it up that way. http://i61.tinypic.com/nl4ebq.jpg here is a great info graph on what you can and can not do with HDMI. and yes you can set that up you can have a game just run on one monitor alot of streamers do this.

Solution

What Peaches said, just use HDMI. As long as the cable is 1.4 or higher.

TRENDING THREADS