Best free/cheap os

AngeNoir0324

Notable
Apr 28, 2017
I have just finished my new PC build and now I need to find an OS. I'm very familiar with Windows, specifically 10, but spent more money on parts and not considering how much it costs to get Windows. I have tried sites such as Kinguin, but my card was denied so I can't get it there. What is my best option?

Thanks!

Solution

Free OS = Linux.
Which may or may not meet your gaming needs.

Windows costs. Generally around $85-$100 USD.
Find it much cheaper than that, and it is not legit.

You can run Windows 10 unactivated, until you can skip enough Starbucks to actually buy a valid license.

USAFRet

Titan

Free OS = Linux.
Which may or may not meet your gaming needs.

Windows costs. Generally around $85-$100 USD.
Find it much cheaper than that, and it is not legit.

You can run Windows 10 unactivated, until you can skip enough Starbucks to actually buy a valid license.

Solution

lakimens

Honorable
There's two choices when choosing an OS: Windows and Linux.
Windows is about $100 and Linux is free.
If you have no money for OS right now, I suggest you try Linux, Ubuntu would be the best choice.
There's an app for Linux, called WineHQ, that lets you run Windows applications. There are some performance downfalls, but at least you can run them.

AngeNoir0324

Notable
Apr 28, 2017
I am going to be gaming and using office 2013/2016. I think my friend has an extra copy of windows 7 lying around. I have probably $40 to spend.

If it is of any help, I'm a high school student currently and was going to ask if there are any deals for me.

Can you offer the same tips for Office?

k64

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I dumped W7 for Fedora Linux and have not looked back 8)

Fedora Spins
Fedora Labs (Gamer or a Graphics Pro & other Geeks Look Here for a one stop shop)

If you want Speed & Some Style look a Xfce Desktop Environment
If you want FX & Fiddle with the UX till your head spins look at KDE... not for feeble processors & low memory!

I went with GNOME which is kinda in the middle, but I really like Xfce DE better.

Fedora is Cutting Edge & geared more towards security. They have less software available but it is some of the most up-to-date.

Linux Respects Your Privacy unlike Windows that reports all your activities regardless of settings back to MS & Third Parties!

Look at Linux Min Xfce for that more Windows like feel.