Cannot download windows 10 64 bit USB flash drive

Rob4499

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
I built a pc for a friend of mine and I'm having issues downloading windows 10. I've done a ton of research for these error codes but all of them have to do with disc based windows 10. I purchased at Best Buy the windows 10 home 64-bit USB flash drive version. The employee told me that's how they do it now (even though they still sell the disc version)... anyways! When I connect the flash drive, I'm able to choose the USB drive to boot first. I also see my HDD and something that says UEFI windows 10 partition. After I reboot I go to the menu where I can select window 10 64 bit, 32 bit, or windows memory diagnostic option. I select the 64 bit version and after it loads I get the error code 0xc0000098 "the application or operating system could not be loaded because a required file is missing". When I select the memory diagnostic I get 0xc0000221 "the header checksum does not match the computed checksum". That's as far as I get. I have no idea what it can be. I've read it can be faulty ram but my MB reads them fine but then again idk. Please help! My friend is waiting to play his new pc.

MB:Asrock killer z270 sli/ac
When I power on my PSU my MB blinks red behind chipset. It keeps blinking while the computer is on and I'm in my bios. Is this normal? It is RGB
CPU:Intel i5 7500
GPU:EVGA GTX1070 FTW
Cooler:CM evo 212 led
Ram:g skill ripjaw v 16gb(8x2) 2400
PSU:EVGA supernova 650 G2
Case: NZXT s340 white
HDD:WD black series 1TB

Solution
Well I figured out what happened! Turns out I was given a used copy of windows 10 at Best Buy that has been tampered with. I attempted to use the flash drive on my working pc and I got the same error so I ruled out any faulty parts in the new build. I came to the conclusion that I was sold a bad copy. When I went to return it, the girl at customer service told me I couldn't because it was already open and you can't return open software packages. But I told her I got it open like this with no enclosed plastic around it like the other ones we're (I had just notice this). She gave me a dead stare and told me they shouldn't have sold it to me but there's nothing she can do and that I would have to talk to Microsoft. I wasn't gonna have any...

Rob4499

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Well I figured out what happened! Turns out I was given a used copy of windows 10 at Best Buy that has been tampered with. I attempted to use the flash drive on my working pc and I got the same error so I ruled out any faulty parts in the new build. I came to the conclusion that I was sold a bad copy. When I went to return it, the girl at customer service told me I couldn't because it was already open and you can't return open software packages. But I told her I got it open like this with no enclosed plastic around it like the other ones we're (I had just notice this). She gave me a dead stare and told me they shouldn't have sold it to me but there's nothing she can do and that I would have to talk to Microsoft. I wasn't gonna have any of that bull. It's was their employees fault selling me that right? So I asked for the manager and he gladly replaced it for me. Went home and loaded up just fine. Moral of the story make sure any package hasn't been tampered with before buying. Sounds like a no brainer but I guess I was too excited to notice.

Solution

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Hello, Rob:
Good to hear that it all worked out for you. Looking ahead, you could consider buying Windows licences online instead of using physical discs.