uanaka

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Windows 10
CPU - Ryzen R7 1700 with Stock Cooler
GPU - AMD Radeon R9 380
RAM - G Skill 2x8gb DDR4 2133 Mhz
Mobo - ASUS Prime B-350M

Last night, changed out from an Intel to an AMD board. I received several comments and helpful advice that it was no longer necessary with Windows 10 to have to sysprep or even do a clean install. Windows 10 should have been robust enough to handle the new hardware. Anyways, it worked for a bit when I booted it up for 20-30 minutes and then it blue screened into a "critical structure corruption", "system service exception", and "memory management". Unfortunately at the time cause it was pretty early in the morning, I didn't think to copy down the mini dump files. Instead, I spun up a USB, used the Windows Media Creation Tool and made a quick Windows 10 USB.

This morning, I wanted to reinstall Windows 10 because I ended up BSOD out of the cortana setup portion. Unable to do a clean install of Windows 10 through USB.

Plugged it in, reformatted the SSD and deleted old partitions. Let it install overnight. Woke up to the whole Cortana led initialization and setup when I received another BSOD with "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL". Decided to just ctrl alt del, and redo the installation from the USB. Now on the step "Getting Files Ready for Installation", I can't get past the first 10% without a "Memory Management" or "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" BSOD.

I am able to successful boot through post and the BIOS. Looking at the BIOS details, it reads the RAM, the SSD and HD in the correct SATA ports, the CPU and Chassis fans are running pretty well, can access boot menu with all of the connected devices. On inspection the GPU fan looks like it is running a little slow but I can't say for certain since it's been a while since i've looked at it, and it's just slower in comparison to the chassis and CPU fans.

I am able to just let it sit in the BIOS menu or even in the Windows 10 installation step screens for quite some time, but as soon as it gets to the "Getting Files Ready for Installation" it will blue screen. I've tried to run "sfc" and "dism" in the advanced command line in Windows 10 setup but no luck.

edit: my initial research had showed that these error messages with the blue screens indicate that it is a software or driver issue but that doesn't really make sense in my case since it's not like i even have a functioning operating system with drivers to cause this issue.

Solution

unclebun

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
In your scenario, among all the causes of the irql not less or equal message, it would seem likely a hardware problem. I would focus on faulty RAM, RAM incompatible with the motherboard, or possibly a motherboard problem. It's also possible the USB memory device you are using has a problem and could cause that message.

Although I have managed to avoid it in my Ryzen builds so far, it is reported that early Ryzen motherboards do commonly have memory compatibility issues with some memory modules.

uanaka

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016

According to PC PartPicker (which I am not saying is all knowing) the G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB is supposedly compatible. Do you know where I could perhaps find which RAM modules have been tested and shown to work?

Could this just be a BIOS update that I am lacking?

Go to either the motherboard manufacturer's or Gskill websites to check on compatibility.

uanaka

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016

I just did a quick check http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350M-A/PRIME_B350M-A_Memory_QVL_20170522.pdf

If it is not listed, does that mean they just have not gotten around to testing it? Or is it most likely not compatible? Cause looking through it, it appears that the G Skill RAM do work, and the single 8GB variant of it works. But I don't see the 2x8GB, variant in there. Can I assume that it should just work with dual channels?

Instead of the 1 and 3 position. Should I try reseating RAM into the 1 and 2? Or maybe the 3 and 4 position? Would that change anything?

Also I see that the BIOS version I am on a version 3 updates behind. Should I try flashing the newest BIOS update and see if that helps? I'm not sure because wouldn't that void any warranty?

Just because it is not listed, doesn't mean it won't work, just that that combo of ram hasn't been tested by the manufacturer. Go to the Gskill site, use their ram configureator and see if Gskill has tested it in your motherboard.

As for which slots to use, consult the manual that came with your motherboard. It will tell you which slots to use in order to enable dual channel mode.
As for the BIOS flashing, that fits into the"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" catagory. The BIOS should only be flashed to A: correct a known problem (will be listed in the notes for the new BIOS) or
B: to gain additional functionality( like support for a newer CPU.).

While flashing the BIOS is not generally recommended (unless needed as above), it will not void any warranty.

Solution