USB 3.0 Slowing down mid transfer

Sami-ster

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
Sorry if this is something reccurring but i just cannot find the answer.

When before i could transfer a file thats between 4 GB to 30 GB with a transfer rate of 50 Mb/s.
Now my file transfers are being less than 15 Mb/s and thats also with files as small as 1 GB.

My external HDD is 3.0 Compliant and can do the transfer speed of 50 on other devices so im sure its just my laptop.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 and all its ports is 3.0 and can have transfer rates of more than 50. Even though im using a hard drive i could still get it.

Please help

popatim

Titan
You can only transfer as fast as the slowest device in the chain. Since the cable and external drive appear capable then you need to consider how full the laptop harddrive is. The more filled, or fragmented for that matter, a harddrive is, the slower it gets.

Sami-ster

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

The strange thing is there is nothing that i could see that could slow it down, i checked the drive settings in windows disk managers aswell and it should be working optimally, the laptop harddrive is aswell not full and working at top condition. before i could easily have a steady 100 mb/s and now it just too slow.

popatim

Titan
You could try reloading the usb drives drivers.
With the drive plugged in, delete it from device manager.
Unplug it for a minute and then plug it back into the same port.

Otherwise you might try resetting your bios after you write down any/all setting that are not at the defaults.

Sami-ster

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

Alright uninstalling and plugging the drive back in actually did the trick thank you very much.