Windows Update Failed, Error 0x80070003

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, two of this months Windows Updates didn't work for me. It's the cumulative update and the .NET framework. Here's what the Event Log said:

Code:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070003: 2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4022715).
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070003: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568).
Things I've tried:
I've also tried progressing through the steps on this page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

• Tried Windows Update Troubleshooter.
    It said "Repair Win Update Database Corruption" - delete and re-download updates. I choose "Apply this fix". It gets stuck on "Checking registry keys...". [Screenshot]

Manually downloaded the .NET update and tried to install it.
    It says "Copying packages to the Windows Update cache..." and just sits there. I hit Cancel after waiting 20+ minutes. It didn't work since disk usage was at 100%. Rebooted. Wouldn't shut down, said "Do not turn
    computer off". I did. Booted back up normally.
    image.jpg
    Tried Win update and failed again.

Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    Today it gets stuck at 98.7%. Last night it stopped around 98% with some error message (which I didn't take note of).

Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:G:\ /LimitAccess
    where G:\ is a Win 10 setup disc (same version that I'm using). This failed with with the following info: Error 1726 The remote procedure call failed. I really don't know if I'm doing this command right, I'm not even sure there is "image" on the Win 10 setup disc that is ready to be used.
I'm using Win 10 Home 1607, system specs can be seen by clicking on my image. Current security products: Windows Defender, Windows Firewall

Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Progress...

fan noise at start up is normal, think its running at bios settings until windows takes over. My fans go nuts during a restart as well.

2 years ago when i first got PC and thought using Asus AI Suite to control fans was a good idea, the temp on the CPU got so low the PC turned the CPU Fan off.... twice... that is panic time as case fans hit 1500rpm. I soon disabled AI Suite and set bios to defaults so it looks after fans and the CPU fan has never been turned off again while PC is on. Cold nights make me wonder if it might happen again but I don't think CPU fan has a stage now it could do that.

I can hear mine currently as I need to clean fans, a job I been meaning to do for months. Better do that before summer but I have...

gardenman

Splendid
Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded "2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4022715)" from http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4022715
I hope I got the right file. I am using Win 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1198). 64-bit.

I tried the file 3 times.

Attempt 1:
It said: error: 0x80080005 Server execution failed. [ScreenShot]
Note that Windows Update is trying to download the same update but is stuck at 0% and has been for hours.

Attempt 2:
Tried it in Safe Mode and got error 0x8007043c. [ScreenShot]

Attempt 3:
Unplugged net and booted back into normal mode and tried again and got this:
image.jpg
I clicked on Yes. Then "Copying packages to the Windows Update cache..." and then...
image.jpg
WTH? No errors or anything. Looked in Event Viewer and found nothing related to the update. A few minutes later I get a "Restart required" notice. It reboots a few times, working on updates.. 7%... etc. And then:

image.jpg
Event Log says:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800F0923: 2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4022715).

I haven't had time to look up all these error #'s yet. I've been working on this 10+ hours now. Still open to any suggestions.

UPDATE:
I got DISM working. [ScreenShot]
I got SFC working. [ScreenShot]
Re-ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter. It found 4 problems and fixed them. [ScreenShot]

Updates are still failing. Event Log still says:

Code:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070003: 2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4022715).
I'm still trying to find an answer and still testing different ideas out. Any comments/help are welcome.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can use dism to install .net as well: http://www.kunal-chowdhury.com/2015/08/windows-10-dotnet-framework.html#GSur2MIq5ElfppEv.97

Not sure why you resist using the upgrade assistant to get Curators edition, it might fix this problem by putting new version of win 10 on. If it failed, I would download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and use USB in file explorer to run the setup.exe and update PC.

running dism source should only work if the ISO is same version of win 10 as you have installed, as since the current ISO = 1703, you would need an old ISO to do it.

gardenman

Splendid
Colif, thanks for the reply. For the DISM install for .NET to work, I think I would have to have the latest Win 10 setup/ISO as DISM will install from that since it copies the files from the image. The problem is that new .NET won't be in the older 1607 ISO, unless MS is still putting out updated 1607 ISOs? I really want the cumulative update to install, the .NET update would be a bonus. I do have a 1607 copy of the ISO and that's how I got DISM to work the other night. I have manually downloaded the updates and tried them too and they fail.

As for the Creators update, the reason many people (including myself) have not received the update message for the Creators update is because it's simply not compatible with our systems in one way or another.
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/798297/Windows-10-Creators-update-download-Microsoft-warning

I've read where Alienware owners updated to the Creators update and had problems with their Alienware Control Center (which includes the Thermal Controls that control the fan speeds). I've had to live with the fans running at full blast for 5 hours once and that was more than I could take.

I have the Alienware Aurora (first model, not a Revision model like R1, R2, etc). [Here] are the Alienware systems that are compatible with the Creators update. Dell apparently doesn't want to spend the time/money to update the drivers for my 7 year old system. They support R5 and R6. Unfortunately, the hardware they use for the thermally controlled fans is proprietary. Once they stop supporting it, that's it.

scout, thanks for the reply. Are you talking about the hardware diagnostics built into the system? I don't think that will help because I don't believe this is a hardware problem, I think it's a Windows problem, maybe something with the registry or some strange file permissions somewhere. If you are talking about something different then please let me know. All I could find was info on the hardware testing. Can't find anything about OS errors. Give links please.

Today I tried the "copy from regback to config folder" thing that I've done before in a VM copy of my system and it didn't work. Took hours to backup and restore and try that out. At least I have a copy of my system in a VM now that I can test and mess around with.

More ideas are welcome.

gardenman

Splendid
I agree and it's unlikely that Dell (or MS) will do anything about it. I guess I'm stuck on 1607. I have to make this PC last until 2020. I try to make them work for a good 10 years so I guess I'll be quite vulnerable for several years without updates. Everything works... except updates from MS and lack of support from Dell! I didn't think they quit updates for older versions so quickly, but I've never really had this problem before so I wouldn't know.

For my update problem, here's additional things I've tried:

Tried starting the BITS service as described on this page:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Windows-Update-Error-0x80070003-windows-7/td-p/3356941
It was stopped. I started it and set it to Automatic. Didn't work. Windows automatically stops it on the next boot.

Tried this:
stop the wuauserv service
del SoftwareDistribution folder
open command prompt as admin and run these:
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s atl.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
restart the wuauserv service
install the cumulative update
Didn't work.

I have a few more things I'm going to try today and I'm still searching other sites for answers. Once I run out of options, I might try tenforums or some other places. I'm not giving up... yet.

As always, additional ideas are welcome (from anyone).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Making PC last 10 years, yes... i see problem there, my last PC was 9 when I upgraded, but I never contemplated moving it off 7 as it had no drivers after there. That wasn't even the reason (8 was 8 after all) as before starting to answer questions here I never understood what drivers did - learned a lot in 18 months).

Hardware makers don't support hardware forever, they want you to upgrade as how else they keep making money? Windows 10 will run on lots of hardware provided hardware makers support it.

One solution that "might" work is download the ISO of 1607 from here and try a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html . The source of ISO isn't MS as they don't have it anymore.

gardenman

Splendid
Thanks, I got that ISO the other day from that site. That's what I used to get DISM working. It's the same version of Windows that I have installed now according to Winver.

Yeah it sounds like you learned *a lot* in 18 months! This place is excellent for learning. If I owned a PC store, I would make the employees help out on here to get experience.

That page says repair: "without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates." That MAY BE an option. I really am hesitating on this and don't want to do it unless it's my only choice.

The good thing is, I can probably try it in the VM first to see what happens. That's were I'm testing everything now. I can reset it back to how it was (before trying anything) in a matter of seconds. However, the VM uses different drivers.

New things I've tried to get Windows Update working:

This stuff is for Win 7, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway.
Tried all 3 options on this page:
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91738-windows-update-reset.html
#1 Have previously tried Option 1, didn't work.
#2 Didn't work.
#3 Didn't work.

Everything here: “How do I reset Windows Update components?”
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components
Got multiple errors when trying to register about 1/4th of the DLL files. Some didn't exist, some just didn't want to register. I thought SFC would have fixed any such problems. Didn't work.

Disabled all settings in the privacy programs O&O Shutup10 and Spybot Anti-Beacon. These have alot of Windows Update settings. Didn’t work.

BTW, it takes 2 hours to test it out each time in the VM. 1.5+ hours for the update to extract and install, with 100% disk usage the full time (partially because it's in the VM). I spent at least 8 hours on it yesterday.

I still have a few more ideas as usual, I guess I'll keep working at it until I get too upset to deal with it and probably try the repair.

Colif

Win 11 Master
it makes sense that the iso would remove the patches as it doesn't include them. It will remove the corruption by replacing the files with originals and then the one cumulative patch after would patch you up to full again.

Odd dism source/sfc didn't fix it but Windows Update is one of the parts uneffected by dism (wish it also fixed start menu bugs as well)

gardenman

Splendid
I posted on TenForums.
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/87159-windows-update-error-0x80070003-kb4022715-kb3186568.html

No reply necessary unless anyone has any new ideas.

If I get this fixed or have any new information I'll update this. Thanks for the help!

UPDATE:
They have stopped replying to me on tenforums. Either the message was forgotten or no one can help. I can't blame anyone for that.

I restored a May 8th system backup to a VM and the problematic update worked in it! I'm now planning on restoring that backup, but I don't want to overwrite my current hard drive (in case things go wrong).

I ordered an SSD (SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB). I plan on restoring my good backup to that drive. I will then try to update to the Creators update and if it doesn't work, I'll restore the backup once again.

If everything works, this will solve multiple problems. I'll get the updates working, get to try the Creators update, and get a faster drive and more space while still retaining my ability to "undo" it if things go wrong.

This backup did not include multimedia files or games. After I get the system installed I plan on copying the games from the HDD to the new SSD. The same games that were installed then are still installed today, so it *should* work. The game info is already in the registry. If this causes problems I'll reinstall/redownload the games.

Concerns:
1. Windows 10 activation, without using a MS account. I've read on here multiple times of differing opinions about how it works or doesn't. I don't want to use a MS account if I don't have to. Will my activation still carry over due to the hardware being recognized? I will (hopefully) be doing a restore, not a new install, but to a new drive.

2. I've read that there are different settings that you want to use when restoring a system to a SSD, such as preventing the hard drive from sleeping and maybe other options. Some SSDs come with software to transfer your system over and make these system changes but I won't be using this since I'll be doing a restore.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. if you haven't attached the licence to your Email address, then it should auto activate on hardware as its been installed on it before - changing hdd is not enough to cause any activation problems

2, I can't think of any off the top of my head (having not done it or answered any questions about it).

gardenman

Splendid
Fixed! I got my SSD in today and restored my March backup to it. I had to hide the Recovery partition on the HDD (might have to re-deal with that later). I immediately went to Windows Update and installed all updates and they successfully installed. Very happy!

I'm leaving the screwed up Win 10 on the hard drive for the time being, in case something goes wrong with this new SSD.

This SSD is fast. I've only had it up and going about 30 minutes now so I have to copy a lot of stuff from the HDD to SDD. After all of that is done I might try to make a new backup of the system and then try the Creators Update. I was planning on doing it before doing anything else, but it's late and I just want to get things going again for now.

Thanks for the help Colif and scout.

(Yeah, my HDD was crammed because I had 3 VMs on it taking about 40 gigs each).

image.jpg

image.jpg

Colif

Win 11 Master
how does 3 x 40gb explain the usage on hdd? its a 1.4tb partition? (I assume you meant E drive) where is the difference as I don't remember there being 1.4tb hdd anyway. Whats on rest of drive?

Odd latest update you got is for CU when you aren't running it yet. My mum is still on that version but I think I leave her there.

SSD vs HDD in speed isn't a fair race. 2 years after getting one, they still feel fast... but I used HDD for about 16 years before getting one.

gardenman

Splendid
Good point about the 3 x 40GB. Yeah drive E. I usually keep it around 100+ GB free (or so). The 3 VMs are my normal test VM (35 Gigs), Current Backup that I was testing update stuff on (43 or so Gigs) and the March backup (38 or so Gigs). If you take away 2 of those then I'd have 100+ GB free.

I'm copying files (from HDD to SSD) that are updated very often (reminders, passwords, notes, etc). Once I get all of that done (and before I copy any games over) I will go ahead and make a new backup. After that I plan on trying Creators (hopefully tomorrow).

Who knew SSDs were so tiny when compared to old HDDs? No one told me! Maybe I ordered the wrong thing. Oh well... it works, I'm keeping it. Homemade mounting bracket pictures ahead... (laugh but not too hard)
https://s13.postimg.org/cpkzlgsif/image.jpg
https://s1.postimg.org/5f03sq82n/image.jpg
The SSD felt cool after 2 hours of use (restoring backup to it) so I hope it'll be OK without having holes on the underside for air current. I guess they don't get hot like USB flash drives.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ssd can be same size as hdd, but it costs a lot more, Currently biggest ssd is 60tb but it costs $USD 40000.00... 4tb consumer grade ssd drives exist but they biggest you can get right now, and still not cheap. HDD has a few years left in them.

SSD is new, once people have PCI NVME or Optane drives instead, ssd might seem slow, but no where near as slow as hdd do in comparison. People want instant storage but why? It can only go as fast as CPU can read it.

ssd has no moving parts, its temp doesn't really matter. Mine is on 25c now, highest i seen is 35 and lowest 16 (Might look at that later, -6 here tonight)

Update, SSD got to 19c, guess it is -5 and feels like -8. It is a little chilly in here :)

gardenman

Splendid
I would like to have that 60tb, I could fill it up.

That sounds a little chilly. I have 3 temp sensors and they just say "Ambient Sensor" and they are usually all the same temperature (or close enough). Probably CPU, memory, and hard drives. Right now they are 30C / 86F.

I'm gonna go ahead and post this because if the Creators Update messes things up, I will be able to compare the System Fan RPMs with this. Can barely hear PC when it's mostly idle like this.

Yesterday when I restored the system, I used a linux boot CD/DVD (backup/recovery) and it has no "thermal controls" so the fans ran full blast for 2 hours while it restored. They often run loudly (not full blast) when booting up too.

ATC.jpg

Update:

Creators installed!

Classic Shell Start Menu not working
- doesn't load on startup
- when manually loaded, taskbar only partially shows
Will try reinstalling it.

Steam and GTA V desktop icons missing
- no big deal, need to recopy them over from HDD anyway, MS probably just deleted all "dead shortcuts".

WinTV works!
Alienware Thermal Controls work!
Alienware FX Lighting works!
Audio works
Webcam works
EasySuite Transfer cable works
Sidebar works
Reminder works
7StickyNotes work

Need to test POD X3 (guitar interface) and alot of software and games before I decide if it's a keeper or not.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Progress...

fan noise at start up is normal, think its running at bios settings until windows takes over. My fans go nuts during a restart as well.

2 years ago when i first got PC and thought using Asus AI Suite to control fans was a good idea, the temp on the CPU got so low the PC turned the CPU Fan off.... twice... that is panic time as case fans hit 1500rpm. I soon disabled AI Suite and set bios to defaults so it looks after fans and the CPU fan has never been turned off again while PC is on. Cold nights make me wonder if it might happen again but I don't think CPU fan has a stage now it could do that.

I can hear mine currently as I need to clean fans, a job I been meaning to do for months. Better do that before summer but I have several months before then.

Solution