1440p, 144hz, IPS, AND 1ms?

regret123

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
And preferably with g-sync and 27"

Know of any? Was looking at Asus rog swift pg279q, but its 4ms rather than 1ms, and id rather avoid the pg278qr as its TN instead of IPS.

Solution
There are no 1ms response time IPS panels that I am aware of. I think you are over emphasizing the importance of response times, I would be very surprised if you could tell the difference between 1ms and 4ms panel and most manufacturer claims of response times turn out to be inaccurate or only accurate in specific situations. I own the PG279Q and other than terrible back light bleed that plagues many samples its a very good monitor, I cant perceive any ghosting or input lag when using it. I personally like a good TN and the pg278q is an excellent TN, I doubt you would ever be able to tell the difference between a good TN and an IPS at the proper viewing angle.

regret123

Honorable
Oct 14, 2015
1Ms to 4ms im sure i can do, but no it is ips specifically that im looking for. The one you linked is tn. I do agree its a great deal, but great enough to shell out that much money and not also have ips included. Id rather spend 1k for an ips id enjoy for years rather than one id just view as a place holder. An expensive place holder

For an IPS screen, you're typically going to be looking at GTG pixel response times rated at 4ms. As far as I know there are no IPS screens rated for a 1ms pixel response time. You're probably not going to notice any blur on a 4ms panel though, and as shown in this review, the pg279q has very low total input lag, which is something not generally listed in the specs...

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

Why do you want IPS over TN? If you can make adjustments, I don't see the issue.
I'm just curious.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
There are no 1ms response time IPS panels that I am aware of. I think you are over emphasizing the importance of response times, I would be very surprised if you could tell the difference between 1ms and 4ms panel and most manufacturer claims of response times turn out to be inaccurate or only accurate in specific situations. I own the PG279Q and other than terrible back light bleed that plagues many samples its a very good monitor, I cant perceive any ghosting or input lag when using it. I personally like a good TN and the pg278q is an excellent TN, I doubt you would ever be able to tell the difference between a good TN and an IPS at the proper viewing angle.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Know that pretty much all of these new 144hz or higher ips 1440p panels are plagued with backlight bleed and ips glow issues. The main reason to get an ips for a gamer in my opinion is to avoid color shift every time you move your head, but ips panels are more expensive and tend to have per sample issues tn's dont typically have.

I'm not a expert when it comes to monitors. I know the basics, but not really into the color space and what not. But at the end of day, if you can make minor adjustments to a beautiful TN panel, wouldn't that fulfill the need of wanting that 144hz IPS panel?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Yeah I would think so, the pg278q the OP mentioned is a 10 bit TN, pretty much as good as it gets for color reproduction on a TN panel. If you put a PG279Q IPS and a PG278Q TN next to each other and you were in the correct viewing angle for the TN I highly doubt they would even be distinguishable from one another.

danielthegreate

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

I second this. Current 1440p 144hz 27" panels are from a specific manufacturer with horrible quality control issues, and the brands don't really have a choice as that panel manufacturer appears to be the only one producing these panels.

The lab I work in renewed a large portion of the monitors with ASUS VC239, a very cheap (120$) ips monitor. You would think that they must have been crap for that price, but they are actually quite good. None of them had any backlight bleed, zero. I bought a couple for myself after I saw this, needless to say zero backlight bleed.

A few months ago, I wanted a high refresh 1440p, and having seen the IPS panels it wasn't possible for me to go back to TN. I looked online and saw quite a lot of complaints about backlight bleed with PG279Q but I though these must be a small percentage that is actually a large number due to the high number of sales. So I went ahead and bought the monitor. I had to return it the next day. Recently I noticed that even the positive reviews on newegg mention that they have backlight bleed, sadly they think this is a normal thing, which is absolutely not as I have seen far too many IPS monitors with zero backlight bleed to accept that.

4ms however, I didn't find an issue. There was no ghosting or anything like that., at least nothing I could notice. I am still waiting for a good quality 144hz IPS that is not plagued with backlight bleed. I guess I will have to wait until another manufacturer starts making 144hz IPS panels, if they do at all.

I would suggest staying away from that monitor, unless you are ready to go through a lot of returns to get a good one. However, if you want to buy it and the backlight bleed doesn't bother you, the 4ms is nothing to worry about.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I RMAed my PG279Q once it had terrible bleed in all four corners, the second still had some bleed but only in the top left and I was willing to tolerate that. But still for a 700 dollar plus monitor I would expect better. The Acer Predator XB271HU has similar problems from what I have read, I believe they use the same panel. As well as an AOC AGON AG271QG which I also believe uses the same panel, hard to find what specific panel a monitor uses,.