Windows 10 keeps resetting default apps

Mike-7

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
I've already asked this at Microsoft.com, but haven't had much luck. The computer has Windows 10 Home, Creators Update installed. I want movie files to open in VLC, picture files in Irfanview, and PDF files in Foxit Reader. A couple days ago when the computer came on, Windows reset movie, picture and PDF files to open in the Windows default programs. Movie files open in Movies & TV, picture files open in Photos, PDF files open in Edge. I reset the default apps to the ones I wanted (VLC, Irfanview, Foxit). Next time the computer came on, Windows once again reset the files to Windows default apps. I've tried resetting the default apps many times. It doesn't matter how I reset the files, when the computer comes back on Windows resets them to Windows default apps. I've tried resetting them one by one. I've tried resetting them using the default apps setting: Choose default apps, Choose default apps by type, Set defaults by app. I do one of these, everything is fine until I shut the computer off. When it comes back on, the files all get set back to Windows default apps. I've tried the solutions and workarounds described on winhelponline (here and here). They don't work either. What could be causing this? Any suggestions?

Mike-7

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
I gave up and did a clean install of Windows 10 yesterday. Installed all of the Windows updates and so far the default app reset problem hasn't returned.