Windows on a new pc without a product key

DrRedonkulous

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
Is there a way to reuse my SSD that has an install of windows on it from another pc on a new pc? Or can i reuse my product key on a new hard drive of a new pc. Anything without having to wait for a new license to come in from microsoft?

Solution
There's this really great utility called "Clonezilla" where you can copy your hard drive from one to another. You'll need to make a boot usb for it and have both HDDs plugged into the computer to transfer your files,OS,etc. Just remember that you might want to reset windows because Windows is notorious for having trouble adjusting to new hardware (when you reset there's an option to keep all of your files)

Dan_97

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
There's this really great utility called "Clonezilla" where you can copy your hard drive from one to another. You'll need to make a boot usb for it and have both HDDs plugged into the computer to transfer your files,OS,etc. Just remember that you might want to reset windows because Windows is notorious for having trouble adjusting to new hardware (when you reset there's an option to keep all of your files)

Solution

schaft

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Why don't you try it directly? I was once amazed when I moved my SSD from i5-2320 older pc into xeon E5-26xxL V4 andit work without any hassle. Maybe I am just lucky. You should try it too. Nothing to lose anyway.