Windows 10 Memory Management BDOS

PikaTopher

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Hi there,

For the past couple of months I have had issues with my computer. I like to think I'm somewhat tech savy, but cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is. For a long time I was recieving blue screens for my windows 10 computer that were always different. I managed to finally fix that. So everything is looking good, and decided to upgrade my ram from 8 to 16. Purchased the same exact ram that I have for my computer [ Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2300MHz] and snapped them in. Now, anywhere between 1-5 hours of gaming, I get the Blue Screen Error MEMORY MANAGEMENT. I have done everything I can possibly think to do from going to windows memory repair to taking out the ram and cleaning the ports and re-positioning them back into their slots. I cant tell if maybe something is the matter with the mother board because I've tested my ram and it seems to be fine. I've seen also that it may be drivers? But I usually keep everything on my computer up to date. My tech savy-er friends dont know what the problem is either, eventually leading us to taking apart the whole damn thing and putting it back together. And it still blue screens. I'm at a lost now and could really use some help as to figuring out what is wrong with this thing, do I need a new motherboard, ram, graphics card, etc.

Here is my rig:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI]
Intel Core I5-6600k@3.50HZ
Windows 10 operating system 64 bit
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4 2300mhz
Corsair 250GB SSD

Heres a picture of my Blue Screen Error: http://imgur.com/a/8Rz26

If anymore information is needed please ask and I will provide, thank you so much~

Solution
Also, forgot to mention, that this problem didn't occur when I bought the new ram, it's been happening for months now, just bought this new ram like a week ago after finally stabilizing the first two. Was able to stabilize my blue screen issues with the first two after taking apart my whole computer and putting it back again. No blue screens. Now I add two additional ram and it goes crazy.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its blaming NTOSKRNL. That doesn't explain a lot as That is New Technology Operating System Kernel. Its the brains of windows 10, Windows cannot run without it. It does many roles but some are executive control, Memory Management, & interactions with Drivers. Its often blamed for errors but is never likely to cause them.

Memory Management can be drivers or either hdd or ram (as memory to PC also includes hdd)

Can you follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

its probably to do with the ram, can you download CPU Z and show us the details of both ram sticks (use an image sharing site like imgur and show links here)

Colif

Win 11 Master
ts probably to do with the ram, can you download CPU Z and show us the details of all 4 ram sticks (use an image sharing site like imgur and show links here)

can you do that?

try running memtest on the sticks and just make sure they are fine. Test 1 at a time in slots you know work, any errors are too many. If all sticks work, test the slots that cause BSOD.

IT makes a bootable USB so can run it without windows.

PikaTopher

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Slot 1
QQ549fa.png

Slot 2
uJuIO0w.png

Slot 3
bIz4jYI.png

Slot 4
uCzW3Rl.png

(images edited by Colif)

PikaTopher

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017

Okay will try

Colif

Win 11 Master
If the memory/slots test out fine, another suggestion is it could be caused by a bent pin on CPU slot.

Is ram overclocked?

on the memory tab of CPU -Z, does it show all the ram in dual channel mode?

some other questions
Might also want to recommend reseating the cpu cooler. Got from Tradesman1 that uneven pressure on a cpu might give problems too.
Could also indeed ask him to add some voltage since the ram is running at 1.2V,can go up to 1.35V without problems. Mixing ram can give problems too,this maybe will help.
The 2+4 did he also try just those two or always in combination with the other two?

Colif

Win 11 Master
is that error in one stick or multiple?

Why am I only getting errors during Test 13 Hammer Test?

The Hammer Test is designed to detect RAM modules that are susceptible to disturbance errors caused by charge leakage. This phenomenon is characterized in the research paper Flipping Bits in Memory Without Accessing Them: An Experimental Study of DRAM Disturbance Errors by Yoongu Kim et al. According to the research, a significant number of RAM modules manufactured 2010 or newer are affected by this defect. In simple terms, susceptible RAM modules can be subjected to disturbance errors when repeatedly accessing addresses in the same memory bank but different rows in a short period of time. Errors occur when the repeated access causes charge loss in a memory cell, before the cell contents can be refreshed at the next DRAM refresh interval.

Starting from MemTest86 v6.2, the user may see a warning indicating that the RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hammer bit flips. This warning appears when errors are detected during the first pass (maximum hammer rate) but no errors are detected during the second pass (lower hammer rate). See MemTest86 Test Algorithms for a description of the two passes that are performed during the Hammer Test (Test 13). When performing the second pass, address pairs are hammered only at the rate deemed as the maximum allowable by memory vendors (200K accesses per 64ms). Once this rate is exceeded, the integrity of memory contents may no longer be guaranteed. If errors are detected in both passes, errors are reported as normal.

The errors detected during Test 13, albeit exposed only in extreme memory access cases, are most certainly real errors. During typical home PC usage (eg. web browsing, word processing, etc.), it is less likely that the memory usage pattern will fall into the extreme case that make it vulnerable to disturbance errors. It may be of greater concern if you were running highly sensitive equipment such as medical equipment, aircraft control systems, or bank database servers. It is impossible to predict with any accuracy if these errors will occur in real life applications. One would need to do a major scientific study of 1000 of computers and their usage patterns, then do a forensic analysis of each application to study how it makes use of the RAM while it executes. To date, we have only seen 1-bit errors as a result of running the Hammer Test.

There are several actions that can be taken when you discover that your RAM modules are vulnerable to disturbance errors:

Do nothing
Replace the RAM modules
Use RAM modules with error-checking capabilities (eg. ECC)
Depending on your willingness to live with the possibility of these errors manifesting itself as real problems, you may choose to do nothing and accept the risk. For home use you may be willing to live with the errors. In our experience, we have several machines that have been stable for home/office use despite experiencing errors in the Hammer Test.

http://www.memtest86.com/troubleshooting.htm

PikaTopher

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
How would I know this? Do I put one stick in at a time in 1 slot and run memtest? [sorry not very knowledgeable about this sorta stuff, thank you btw for your help thus far]

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, test 1 stick at a time so you can find out which is causing error, Having them all in doesn't tell you anything specific.

If you lucky, its just 1 of them and you might have to rma one set and get them replaced. Chances are its one of the 2 new ones you bought since you weren't having any errors before.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Haven't seen it mentioned so do enable XMP in the bios for the ram.

Looked at the cpu-z pics above and found that the max memory bandwith is reported different,which is odd seeing that these are the same make/model/speed sticks.
After testing each on it's own (if not one is failing) try to match the sticks from slot1+4 in one channel (next to each other) and slots 2+3 as well.
Which are the latest bought?
Also do try and give some extra voltage to the ram.Like said is up to 1.35V okay.

Do test the sticks each on it's own first though,do this with XMP enabled.

PikaTopher

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
I've enabled XMP, and I think I turned my voltage up [my bios had options of 1.34 and 1.36 so I chose the lesser] but when I launch memetest even with the 1 stick in, it wants to test my quad core cpu, is there a way to just have it test the memory and not the whole computer?

PikaTopher

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Also, forgot to mention, that this problem didn't occur when I bought the new ram, it's been happening for months now, just bought this new ram like a week ago after finally stabilizing the first two. Was able to stabilize my blue screen issues with the first two after taking apart my whole computer and putting it back again. No blue screens. Now I add two additional ram and it goes crazy.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didn't think to ask about 1st bunch of BSOD as you said they were fixed, I didn't think they were ram related as well. Could mean the hammer test is finding faults in the ram that you had all along.

part of test is CPU so I don't think you can skip that.