Which files are responsible for keyboard and mouse function?

McDohl

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014
Long story short my keyboard and mouse isn't working in my secondary PC, and I'd like to know which files are responsible for their functioning. I've tried everything in the book to try and fix this. I have the SSD connected to my primary PC and I'm curious if I can drag drop or install any particular driver files onto the SSD to replace the corrupted ones to fix the issue. I'm currently navigating around the drive to salvage files just in case I need to wipe it.

Here's a thread where I went into detail of the numerous other ways that I've tried to fix this issue: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649256/keyboard-and-mouse-not-working-after-booting-windows/

Solution
You wouldn't think unplugging PC without turning it off would cause this.

is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ mouse should work in linux since i expect this is a driver problem, especially since they work in Advanced start up (the menu where system restore etc is)

the easiest option is run a reset and keep files/settings. This downloads drivers again and should fix this. The files it keeps are in the default library folders, so Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures. The settings are logins. IT only touches C drive so if you have extra hdd or partitions on the boot disc, it leaves...

Colif

Win 11 Master
The files you need would be probably part of the chipset drivers from AMD, and it appears the last ones of those for motherboard were Windows 7 - might be able to get them from AMD direct.

Its no help though as without being able to get into desktop, you can't just drag files over from the main PC as it is Intel based.

Did PC ever work with win 10 or did this happen after a patch?

I could be looking at this from wrong direction though, if you are asking which windows files control mouse/kb, then I not sure its going to be them at fault. Its going to be a driver problem I think.

McDohl

Honorable
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah it was working just fine with Windows 10, and after the creators update it still worked. My sister unplugged the PC without powering it down properly and that seems to be when the issue first started. Do you think an issue like this could result from improperly powering down the PC? I'm all out of ideas to try other than just reformatting everything (Which I'd hate to do).

Colif

Win 11 Master
You wouldn't think unplugging PC without turning it off would cause this.

is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ mouse should work in linux since i expect this is a driver problem, especially since they work in Advanced start up (the menu where system restore etc is)

the easiest option is run a reset and keep files/settings. This downloads drivers again and should fix this. The files it keeps are in the default library folders, so Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures. The settings are logins. IT only touches C drive so if you have extra hdd or partitions on the boot disc, it leaves them alone. Need to reinstall all programs, if you have steam games you can reuse the games library folder and not need to redownload everything.

boot into windows recovery, go to the troubleshoot menu and pick reset this PC
choose keep files and settings (Other choice is wipe it all and thats not really necessary)
PC will restart and reinstall win 10
mouse/kb should work again

Solution

TRENDING THREADS