60+ svchost files open in task manager

Galactic Gunk

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
I've been setting off my computer's poor performance for long enough. I can't find specific answers so I'm finally gonna ask them myself.

So recently I got a new motherboard, one that fit an i5 and my old pci-e graphics card. Anyway, this isn't the hardware forum so I won't go into that.

My problems right now are as such: If my computer stays on overnight I get noticeably crappy game performance until I restart.

And as of today I have around 60 svchosts open in the "details" section of task manager

I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to have 60-ish svchost tasks open... Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Its normal now... before the curators edition, there were about 16 svhosts that catered for groups of processes/services, now every service has its own host. The only difference is you can see them more clearly and it should make troubleshooting easier

right click start button
choose run...
type winver and press enter
if your versions is 1703 then 60 is about normal now.

Galactic Gunk

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Thanks for the quick reply. I suspected something like that as well and ran Malwarebytes just now, and it came up with nothing.

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 6/15/17
Scan Time: 8:51 PM
Log File:
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.1.2.1733
Components Version: 1.0.141
Update Package Version: 1.0.2160
License: Free

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: DESKTOP-KUOKSNK\domin

-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 358413
Threats Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)
Threats Quarantined: 0
Time Elapsed: 7 min, 48 sec

-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

-Scan Details-
Process: 0

Module: 0

Registry Key: 0

Registry Value: 0

Registry Data: 0

Data Stream: 0

Folder: 0

File: 0

Physical Sector: 0

(end)

Anything else it could be? I checked and all the svchosts seem legit, they are in the windows folder, but I've never seen so many active at one time

Hello... Well I don't run WIN 10, so don't know what is the NEW "normal" for it... But any APP auto updates and Task scheduler (windows apps/maintenance) are set to update at ~2 AM... But basically a svchosts is a 'internet" connection for some APP for some reason. 60 of them running in the morning would concern me about who is using my computer without my knowledge B /

As a "simple test" un-plug the internet connection and see How many disappear from your list... and how many re-appear when you connect it again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its normal now... before the curators edition, there were about 16 svhosts that catered for groups of processes/services, now every service has its own host. The only difference is you can see them more clearly and it should make troubleshooting easier

right click start button
choose run...
type winver and press enter
if your versions is 1703 then 60 is about normal now.

Solution

Galactic Gunk

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Indeed that is the version, thanks for clearing it up