Reboot and Select Proper Boot device after Windows 10 update/Shut Down

DoktorDare

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Using Windows 10 64 Bit
ASROCK, not sure model
Only one HDD

Last night there was an update. when i shut down my PC it had "update and shut down" so i did that and went to bed.
This afternoon i try booting up PC, but it seemed to hang at the loading circle for windows a bit and thought it might've been frozen/hanging so i shut it down manually

Rebooted and I've been getting Disk error messages at boot, changed boot priority around in the UEFI to the WDC, then i got the Reboot/Proper boot error.
Kept trying and it kept giving me the same error, I opened up the tower and checked the connections, nothing seems to be loose.
took out the CMOS battery, reset it, powered it back up and it got me to a screen to F1 to continue or DEL to Setup. Continue just tries to boot, fails with the same error.
Setup just takes me back to the UEFI menu.
I did notice that Windows Boot Manager is missing now after the CMOS reset.
It was a custom build i bought from a friend and never had problems, even he seems stumped.
I have searched online (googling brought me here and i've been following along and trying things)
But nothing I've tried or found seems to work :(

Solution
I got it! I searched around for those BCD cmds you gave me and
I used Fix #4 from this link
https://neosmart.net/wiki/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked/
Thank you so much for your help!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

see if start up repair helps
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

See if rebuilding the boot files will help - this might also set up windows Boot Manager which is a really good reason why PC can't boot
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
We need to use the Bootrec.exe tool. Click on command prompt and type in the following commands, one after the other:
bootrec /RebuildBcd
bootrec /fixMbr
bootrec /fixboot
Exit

Now go ahead and reboot your system. In some cases you may need to run some additional commands.
bootsect /nt60 SYS or bootsect /nt60 ALL

DoktorDare

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
[strike]Ok i am on a Windows XP computer right now
I tried the link and it routed me to download an Windows 10 ISO to a blank USB/disc
Trying to get the creation tool from here https://www.microsoft.com/eb-gb/software-download/windows10
Gives me an error saying the page is no longer available

so i download the ISO anyway
I set up to boot from the USB first in UEFI settings
Same Error (Reboot and Select Proper Boot device)
I tried going from the boot menu, same error
I also tried the UEFI one that had the USB listed for it, and it doesn't do anything from the boot menu
I am not sure what i am doing wrong? :([/strike]

Ok i am on a Windows 7 laptop and i am making an installer, I think i am back on track

DoktorDare

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
ok i made the installer booted with USB Startup Repair didn't work, said it couldn't repair it, Log file was blank

Went to the cmd prompt and typed in the commands in the order you provided
The first one said it found windows on the C Drive (which is where it was)
asked me to add it but yes no and all were the options, none of which worked
did the rest
after fixboot i hit exit
rebooted
just goes to USB boot
ran the bootsect all cmd and it said it added something to at least 1 drive
I've tried rebooting again and all i've gotten so far is able to go to the USB tool. Even direct WDC selection doesn't work from the Boot Menu

am i doing something wrong?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you go to CMD again and do this for me, just want to see what drive looks like

type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, DVD/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type list vol and it should show something like this
hhQOM18.png

Take a screen shot (with camera if necessary) and upload it to an image sharing site and show link here
close cmd for now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
This is a more indepth guide to the 1st lot of commands I gave you, might fix problem: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

What was on the PC before win 10? As its odd you have 2 450mb partitions, was this win 8?
Also how can vol 2 & 8 be D drive, I wonder. These don't really answer question, just curious as a win 10 install should only have 4 partitions, not 8.

Okay, so the volume 4 labelled system is the boot partition

DoktorDare

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
I don't know what was on it at some point before i bought it.
But i definitely know win10 was the last working OS.
I"ll look at this link and play around with the commands some more, I'll let you know what i find.
That it couldn't do start up repair and doesn't seem to recognise anything from C before really concerns me

Also thank you so much for helping me out with this, this stuff is really outside my wheelhouse here and don't have a lot of experience with it

Colif

Win 11 Master
is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ and use it to copy everything you don't want to lose. Just in case the best answer is to fresh install windows.

DoktorDare

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
I got it! I searched around for those BCD cmds you gave me and
I used Fix #4 from this link
https://neosmart.net/wiki/the-drive-where-windows-is-installed-is-locked/
Thank you so much for your help!!

Solution