DisplayPort to HDMI has suddenly stopped working

CPusser

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
Hi everyone.

I have a refurbished Windows 10 Pro 64-bit PC and an Asus VX228H monitor. I have had both for about a month now, and I have been running a DisplayPort to HDMI from the PC to the monitor. I have had absolutely no issue with this setup until this morning. Overnight my power went out and my PC was shut off. Upon starting my PC back up, I realize that my monitor is not receiving a video signal from the PC. I checked all the connections and even unplugged and re-plugged the cable to no avail. I then unplugged the power cable from the monitor and restarted my PC. Still nothing. I then tried running a VGA from the PC to the monitor and that worked fine. I have checked both HDMI ports on the monitor and they work fine, as I ran an HDMI from a PS4 to both and it worked.

I have been searching the web for about two hours now and none of the solutions have worked for me. Has the DisplayPort to HDMI cable gone bad? I have no way of checking as this PC is the only thing I have with a DisplayPort. Like I say, I have not had an issue with this until now.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
So you are using the CPU's integrated graphics, as opposed to a discreet GPU (Graphics card), and the video ports on your motherboard. Either the DisplayPort on the motherboard got physically damaged somehow, or your cable went bad.

CPusser

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017

If it is the cable, any idea what may have caused the cable to suddenly go bad? Would the power outage have caused that?

Neur0nauT

Admirable
If it is the cable, any idea what may have caused the cable to suddenly go bad? Would the power outage have caused that?

Its hard to say. Some cables do just fail. Usually its one of the contacts get damaged at the connector end, so check on those. There might be obvious damage to see. Or if the cable gets crushed (by something resting on it such as a chair a chair wheel or table leg or something) and it breaks the internal wiring.

CPusser

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017

Forgive me, but I am unable to find it under Device Manager. I have it pulled up and I have checked under all the tabs and do not see it listed. Am I missing something?

CPusser

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017

Alright, I clicked Display Adapters and it shows Intel(R) HD Graphics. Right click -> Properties and it says, "This device is working properly." Drivers are also up-to-date.

I will add this: my monitor goes into a sleep mode if it is not receiving a signal. Once it does receive a signal, it automatically comes out of sleep mode. If I leave the HDMI part plugged into the monitor, when I plug the DisplayPort into the PC, the monitor comes out of sleep mode like it has a new signal, then after a few seconds it goes back to sleep.