New PC Build, USB install Windows 10, black screen

irenecarette

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
Hello,

I just finished my first PC build (I am from a Mac family). When I turn on the computer with Windows 10 on USB (from Microsoft not a self-made ISO), I see the BIOS screen but cannot reach the BIOS since my keyboard/mouse is not active in that screen.

And then, just like in this post , I cannot reach the step after "windows loading file". That step takes only 1-2min on the SSD but then nothing happens. The screen stays black, active (it does not go to sleep), no mouse visible on screen, no reaction to keyboard etc.

I already have only the SSD connected (HDD disconnected). The fans case/CPU are all working fine, every lights on MOBO, GPU and case are working.

I suspect it's a driver problem. But I cannot install drivers until Windows 10 is installed, right ? So I am currently stuck not knowing what to do.

What do you think ? Any idea how to fix this please ?
Thank you,

PS : PC Build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WVhPWX

In addition,

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017
Do you have another hard drive?
Samsung SSD drives are currently having issues with some motherboards when you're installing a new operating system to them.
Try unplugging your SSD and installing Windows to the terabyte drive instead.

irenecarette

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
Same result with just the HDD plugged. I don't know if it helps but the indicator on the MOBO is on 50 at first then it goes to 49 after 1-2min of black screen. It stays mostly at 49 with brief 48 sometimes.

Just to be clear i just unplug both cables on the drives, I do not unplug SATA cables from the MOBO. Just tell me if I should, in case I'm testing this wrong.

edit : the fans on the GPU are not spinning. the GPU's lights are on though. So I think the fans don't spin because there is no need for them to.

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017
I'm a little confused. Did you install Windows properly or did it fail?
Do you have an onboard card you can use (unplug your GPU see if it's causing the issue?)
I would honestly remake your bootable Windows 10 drive for installation of Windows, tab F2 or F12 frantically at the boot up to get to your installation media, install Windows 10 by freshly reformatting the drives (assuming nothing is on the the HDD), create new partition, install Windows 10 on that partition, and see if everything goes on.

I don't know the history of your HDD, if you have a prior installation on it or what is going on there. Also last time GPU fans weren't spinning but the lights were on did not indicate the GPU was okay and it was actually the GPU causing the issues completely. When you install Windows 10 it usually can pick up the drivers by itself. So..

1) Unplug your GPU and see what happens
2) Make sure you have an installation media of Windows 10 properly loaded on your USB drive
3) Boot from that drive
4) Install 10 on your HDD

You may have selected the wrong microsoft USB boot when creating your boot file. There's a Windows-To-Go thing that's like a portable windows and then there's a Windows installation media you can create on a USB drive. Make sure you did the right thing.

irenecarette

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
I bought the USB drive with Windows 10 from Microsoft directly. So I'm not gonna fiddle with it, it is the real deal not something I made.

I finally got to go inside the BIOS. I then press escape, and F11 repeatedly. I choose to boot on the UEFI Windows 10. But still after the loading screen in black and white, it stops on a black screen. Whatever choice I make, I get the same result.

Every part used in this build is new.

I can unplug my GPU since Intel i7 6700K has an Intel® HD Graphics 530 on board. I just tested by switching the DVI from the GPU to the MOBO and the result is : the screen goes to sleep, as if there was no input.

Do you think my CPU is broken ? I'm surprised by this last test. I should get something from the graphics of the CPU, no ?

A broken CPU that would be my luck for a first build.

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017

Can you chose to boot on the USB drive and install Windows 10 from it instead?
Did you unplug your GPU and plug into your mobo after? If your GPU is still plugged in then you won't get a signal without it being removed first before plugging into your mobo.

Sam Poland

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Yes, remove the GPU from the mobo and just use the onboard and try the install again. If the CPU was broken, they system would be completely dead. You would never see anything on the screen. Most likely you need to install Win10 before you install the GPU.

irenecarette

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
Hello,

I unplugged the GPU. Still with just the HDD connected + keyboard/mouse USB and screen (via DVI on MOBO).

Try 1 : I do not intervene at all, just let the system do its thing. I get to choose which windows to install (32 or 64), it loads the files then black screen.
the indicator on the MOBO says : 46.

Try 2 : I press F11 to choose which device to boot from and choose UEFI KDI MSFTWindows 10 PMAP, Partition 1. I get to choose which windows to install (32 or 64), it loads the files then black screen.
the indicator on the MOBO says : 47.

Try 3 : I press F11 to choose which device to boot from and choose SATA1:ST1000DM010-2EP102. I guess that's my HDD. I get to choose which windows to install (32 or 64), it loads the files then black screen.

Try 4 : I press F11 to choose which device to boot from and choose KDI MSFTWindows 10 PMAP. I guess that's the USB stick with Windows 10. I get to choose which windows to install (32 or 64), it loads the files then black screen.

Then the only choice left is the BIOS.

What does it mean that I get the same result with and without the GPU ? I guess we can say the CPU and GPU are working then right ? since I get the same thing with intel onboard graphic and GPU. Or both are broken ... no idea.
Does it mean the problem comes from elsewhere ?

By the way, the MOBO indicator gives the CPU temperature after POST so ... I'm not sure this information is pertinent for troubleshooting in my tests above.
And since I read that some MOBO gives beep sound signal, I plugged some headphone and my MOBO does gives some rapid short beeps discontinuously at the start and when the menu "enter BIOS by pressing DEL or boot menu by pressing F11" appears. Then nothing as soon as I reach the menu to choose between windows 32 or 64.

The only options left to me seems to be :
-reset the CMOS to default setting eventhough I did not touch it
-unplug ram and test each ram in slot DIM2 (since I still have to use that slot even with only one ram stick)
-load drivers from M-flash. For that I would need to know exactly which drivers I need for MOBO (i do not have optical drive so I canot use the drivers CD given with MOBO)

I look forward to hearing what you think after those tests.
Thank you

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017
I looked up the debug codes and a lot pointed to a faulty mobo or a faulty PSU (someone said they got 46 because they didn't have the PSU plugged in properly, replugged it in and it worked), and for 47 it keeps telling me it's the mobo or cpu. Check the cpu for bent pins.

irenecarette

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
I checked the PSU and its connections. Everything is fully plugged in.

As for checking for bent pin, to be quite honest, I am too scared to get the CPU Cooler and CPU off, check then successfully put everything back on without incident. I don't even know how to clean the thermal past in order to reapply it.

Someone told me to get a jumper to reset the CMOS, I will do that next week when I get a jumper. But if it still does not work I will have to get professionnal help unfortunately.