Disk usage 100% but 0 read/write speed

Windbrand

Reputable
Nov 4, 2015
Lately I've been having periodic 100% disk usage problems, making the laptop completely unusable for ~10min at a time. It always happens while playing an MMO. When the MMO freezes I immediately use task manager to kill it, but the 100% disk usage persists for another ~10min.

Screenshot:

xcnb962.png

I don't think there was any major update I manually installed in the last 1-2 weeks. Windows might have updated itself since Win10 automatically updates without my consent while I'm sleeping.

Already disabled windows search + superfetch services.

8GB RAM. I'm using Lenovo Ideapad laptop, so swapping hard drive is probably not an option.

UPDATE: I checked event viewer, I get a bunch of Event ID 129's:

vxYCNWE.png

As well as ID 7:

IMIBBtV.png

I found this MS support article which matches the event log symptoms: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3083595/task-manager-might-show-100-disk-utilization-on-windows-10-devices-with-message-signaled-interrupt-msi-mode-enabled

However, unlike the article suggests, I don't have SSD, using the regular HD that came with laptop. Also this problem never happened before, only since the last 1-2 weeks.

Solution
Laptop HDD swaps are usually really easy. In the meantime try deleting some old games you no longer play and close your internet browser before playing.

Especially imgur.