Whole new PC or upgrade?

infect

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hi Guys,

Basic question, im looking for peoples thoughts on whether I should upgrade my pc or just sell the lot and build again from scratch.

Current Specs:

I5 2500k (I think its a hyper 212 heatsink as well)
Asus P67 motherboard
8gb corsair ram (1600)
Asus GTX 980 Strix
Corsair 750w modular PSU (gold)
couple off SSDs for boot and programs

I currently game on a 1440p single monitor, looking to buy a ultra-wide probably at 144p also.

I wasn't sure if the CPU and motherboard combo was too far gone to be worth salvaging and putting in a new system?

I haven't followed PC tech that closely over the last year or 2 so I'm not sure where this stands as a system now. I want to give it an overhaul, its just which route I go down.

Any thoughts on this would be interesting, and reasons to back it up so I can go and do some research.

Thanks

new pc but save these parts.
save the power supply. save the ssds but make sure you completley wipe them because if you try moving windows to a new computer it will reconize new hardware and become unactivated.
toss the heatsync and cpu try selling them for money on ebay same with the ram.
save the 980 for later if you need a backup card.
save monitor
you can copy off my build white themed but just dont buy the stuff i told you to save use the stuff you saved instead of on there. like for example save your old psu and use it in the build.
here is my build
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/_parker_307_/saved/

infect

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
yeah the PSU was an addition along with the GTX 980 in Jan last year so its not that old.

i will be getting a new case I think, I love my corsair 600t but its massive and in my new apartment just isn't practical!

So do we think change out the platform and keep the rest?