Super Low Budget / Low Expectation

ykim270

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Hello, I'm looking to purchase a budget PC for my very modest needs.
I use my computer mostly for everyday stuff like internet browsing, watching movies, etc. plus gaming, but I am by no means looking for a proper gaming PC.

I want to eventually try building a PC, but I don't have much time at the moment. It's not like I need a real gaming PC right now anyway. Just something I can plug and play would be nice.

My budget is $300, but I can go up to $400 if it means a huge difference.

My requirements (or the lack thereof):

-The games I play most are League of Legends and Starcraft II, both of which barely run on my current toaster.

-I would also love to play Overwatch, Fallout 4, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Skyrim Remastered, which don't run on my current PC.

-I would be very happy with a stable 60-ish FPS on 720p resolution with medium settings for the above titles.

-Operating System pre-installed (don't care which)

-Don't care if it's used or refurbished. Actually I would prefer that if it means lower prices.

-Don't care about looks

-Don't need any peripherals.

-I don't need a lot of HD space, as I plan to use my current PC's 1TB for storage needs.

I'm a total PC noob who's only ever walked into Best Buy and bought the cheapest PC they had.

I would much appreciate any pointers on good venues to look for such PC's, online or retail.
Links to specific products would be even better. I can't even begin to compare specs and determine for myself... (higher numbers are better?)

Would "integrated Intel graphics" be able to handle the titles I mentioned? That seems to be the most common graphics option for the low-end PC's. Or would I need a real gaming PC with dedicated graphics?

Please help me out, and feel free to offer me any kind of advice, even ones I didn't ask for. I'm not sure if I'm even asking the proper questions with my zero knowledge on these things. Thanks in advance!

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.92 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill - FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $356.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-18 09:56 EDT-0400

Should do the trick. It's very upgradable if you decide you need more muscle down the line. It should play everything you mentioned okay.

ykim270

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Thanks for the pointers. Again, I'm not really looking to build a PC, though.

How would it be if I bought a super cheap refurbished computer, and just upgrade the GPU? Would that work? Also, if you have the time please tell me what I should look for in the said cheap PC. Thanks!

Jwpanz

Honorable
Look for a refurbished Dell or HP on Newegg with at least a decent locked i5 processor. Maybe something like this: Refurbished: DELL Desktop Computer OptiPlex 7010 Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3450 (3.10 GHz) 4 GB DDR3 250 GB HDD Intel HD Graphics 2500 Windows 10 Pro http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=83-159-914

You could then plop a GTX 1050/1050ti or RX 460/560 in there and it's off to the races. You could also throw another 4GB of RAM in there.

You can play around with the options as there a plenty to choose from. I saw some towers as low as $100 with i3's in them.

just make sure there using a standard size case and mb. those micro cases will cause you to use shorter sfx video card. there not made using all of the gpu out there due to size and heat limit of short cards. also if they use sfx or very small power supply if your lucky the newer 650w units that just drop will fit in those micro cases.