Upgrading gaming PC, and I just cant’ decide between Ryzen and Intel, thoughts?

Drone79

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I never thought I would post a question like this but having spent a week trying to decide, I just don’t know what to do for the best. It’s time for an upgrade – my current rig:

AMD FX-6300
RX-480 GTR 8GB
16gb HyperX 1866
EVGA G2 650W PSU
M5A97 Mobo
Hyper 212
500gb SSD

It may be important to point out that I game in 1080 only, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I won’t be looking to 4k any time soon.

I’m aware I will need a new mobo and possibly RAM upgrade, but I am completely torn. I’m interested in the Ryzen 1600x,but as is my understanding, as someone who primarily uses their PC for gaming, I won’t really see the benefit of these multiple cores/threads, and I will see even less of a benefit as a 1080 gamer based on reviews I have seen – so I am also considering changing to Intel, say the i5-7600.

Although I have always used AMD, I don’t’ have any bias or allegiance – In the past I’ve simply avoided Intel due to cost – but it seems to me wherever I go the general consensus is that Intel has the overall edge when it comes to gaming, whereas Ryzen is more suited to heavy tasks/video editing etc.

I am also considering taking the leap into VR, which is what kicked off my interest in upgrading in the first place – even if I don’t take the plunge this year, it’s something I will likely do in the future if Fallout 4 delivers, plus there are a lot of great experiences via VorpX if you can be bothered to tinker with it.

I’m open to suggestions however – I like to crank up the settings in my games, and I’m not obsessed with FPS, so long as it runs smoothly and looks great – In terms of modern games I play Deus EX, Fallout, Dying Light, FarCry and so on, the usual suspects.

I’ve been scratching my head for so long now I just don’t know what to do. Both options are a substantial upgrade over my current CPU it seems. For 1080 gaming and possibly VR though, I just can't decide. Opinions are appreicated!

Intel wins in gaming performance bcz of their single and quad core performance
if you're only planning on gaming, for now intel is the better choice (i5 7600 is only 5-7% better than i5 7500, so if the budget permits, i suggest u get the i5 7600K instead or get i5 7500 if the gap between it and 7600 are too big)
if u still going for ryzen though, pick the R51600 instead of X version, it had free cooler, better value, and can be OCed to reach 1600X performance

Mike3k24

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016
I'd choose Ryzen not simply for the gaming performance. Even if you're not gaming you get twice the cores and threads of Intel and the gaming performance is barely behind. There's no real point in picking up an i5 or even an i3 really anymore. The only thing from Intel worth buying is pentiums and i7s. Otherwise Ryzen takes care of all in between.

TRENDING THREADS