Black Screen After Boot Override

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017
I just finished building a new PC and all I have left is installing Windows​ 10, which I'm doing from a disk. After trying for a few hours, I tried to do a boot override. The override resulted in a black screen, which I've had for a half hour so far. I've read other posts of people having a similar issue but the startup screen would appear for them after 10 minutes, whereas mine continues to stay black.

The disk I'm using has roughly 28 GB on it, which I assume are different versions of Windows 10 (Got the disk from a friend)

Is there anything else I have to take care of first or anything I should mention?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yeah stop using your friend's disk.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Download that, use a thumb dive and make yourself a bootable USB windows installer, and install it from there. Make sure you have a valid PURCHASED license key.

This is the ONLY way to correctly install Windows 10. Whatever your friend gave you, its not Windows 10, the installer is nowhere near 28gb.

Solution

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017
I have Windows 10 on my laptop but I got it while it was still free to upgrade. Would that work and if so, how would I get the license key?

Also, how big does the USB have to be? Mine's 16 GB

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you aren't going to use the laptop again, you can do this on it now - Reactivating win 10 on new hardware - and after win 10 installed on new PC, do the 2nd part of the same link to activate it

as for licence, if you doing the above method, when you get to screen asking for licence, click the "I don't have a key" link and win 10 will continue to install and then you will need to follow steps in link above to reactivate PC

16gb is big enough

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Just want to stress, this, if it allows you, will deactivate windows on your laptop. If you plan to continue to use your laptop you NEED to buy a license for your new PC.

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017
Is there anything in particular that I need to take care of before and during the installation or is it as simple as connecting the USB and then following the steps? Also, sorry for the late response and thanks to both of you for your help so far :)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Connect the USB and make sure the BIOS is set to UEFI boot USB drive. you can find it in the boot menu. Make sure you format your hard drive during the install process.

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017

Do you know how to format the hard drive while the setup is active? The only way I can think of is using BIOS but if I remember correctly, many of the options related to it are grayed out. I'm currently downloading the drivers needed for the setup, but just for confirmation, I thought I'd ask. Do I get the drivers that fit my motherboard or are there others that I need? I'm using an ASUS Prime B350 if that helps.

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017
I've also ran into another issue. I had to shut off my new pc for a while and when I went to boot it back up and restart the setup, the flash drive stopped working properly and refuses to start the setup. Do you know any fixes for this? I can't seem to find anything on the issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you turn PC off while it was installing windows? That isn't going to work very well.

do you have a ssd or hdd? if you have a hdd, you might want to run dban on it and wipe the install and start again

if its an ssd, you might have to put it in another PC and run diskpart clean on it

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

They shouldn't be, when you select the drive and partition you want to install to, just delete all the partitions that are there and create a new one. The Asus should have come with a disc to get you started, but if not then just download whatever ASUS offers. You do not need to be in the BIOS to format a drive.

As for your flash drive, did you complete the setup? Did you go back into your BIOS and make sure its booting from UEFI USB device? If you shut it off in the middle of installing thats going to cause you problems.

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017

I ran dban and it failed but I got this error:
"Disks found but they all have dbanlog directory"
I tried running it a few more times after and got the same error. I haven't been able to find any fixes online so far.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yes, why would you do that?

Block out like 4 hours sit down and do this over.

First off make sure that your thumb drive works, boot up with the drive, and when you get to the drive selection part of the process, delete all partitions, create a new one, format, install Windows, and install all the drivers when done. Do all of this at the same time and NEVER shut the system off in the middle of selecting drivers etc.

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017

Should I plug the USB into the motherboard or does it work fine from the case? Also, how do I get the HDD to show up on the drivers menu? I've been having problems with the setup being unable to detect drivers and I've read posts from others saying that the setup worked after simply moving the USB to another plugin. I have the setup loaded up but it's plugged into the USB port on the case rather than the motherboard. As for me shutting down during the setup, I had to go to work and didn't want the pc draining power while I wasn't doing anything with it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yeah that was a bad idea, you can't just bail out in the middle of an install, should have just left it on.

Plug the USB into the motherboard thats always going to work.

You keep saying drivers, drivers you worry about after Windows is installed. DRIVES show up when you first start the install process. If you do not see your DRIVES in the install menu, at the start, you have bigger problems.

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017

Do you know how I get drives to show up? I've spent the last few hours researching and haven't found anything useful.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
WHat do you mean? When you are installing Windows 10 when you get to this screen do you not see your hard drives or SSD?

windows10-News-Installation1-650x381.jpg

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

So you do not see any drives in that list?

What drives do you have installed into the computer? Are they new? Did it work before?

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017

All I have installed is a 2 TB HDD as I'm waiting on the SSD. I just built the PC a few days ago and I bought the HDD new but as this is my first build, I haven't been able to test it to see if it works before-hand.

Here's what the screen looks like:
7Tw1gL1GTga9SpT-sqoFUQ.png

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ok there is your number one problem.

First off double check the drive is properly connected, secondly when the PC is on make sure its powered up (an HDD you can feel spinning, you will also hear it spin up its kind of a light grind noise), also the drive access light on your case should flash (assuming you have connected it properly).

Assuming its connected and you can tell its powering up, then go in the BIOS and make sure the drive shows up in the list.

If it does not, then either the drive isn't connected or its dead. This could have been caused by many reasons, could have been failing when you got it, could have been when you shut the system off in the middle of installing Windows.

Either way, you need a new drive.

Shiruzun

Prominent
May 22, 2017
Is there a chance that it may be an issue w/ the SATA cable? Haven't found the HDD in BIOS but I'm fairly certain that other than the restart while in Windows Setup, I haven't done anything else that could have damaged the HDD.

TRENDING THREADS