I have 4gb ram still my virtual memory is set to 16mb

Solution
Yep. In fact, you will use that virtual memory even if you don't populate all 4GB of system memory. Windows always tries to leave some memory free so may stop at 3GB used of the 4GB.

Windows does so because it may suddenly need more memory (i.e. opening a game). This means that you may see 3GB used but still experience some degraded performance due to delay swapping data between the HDD pagefile and system memory.

I have 16GB and when I boot up my PC it uses roughly 3GB, but after using Google Chrome etc it usually stays above 5GB. You may open and close a number of programs as well and if there's sufficient memory it will keep the launch exe (and related files) there so that the program launches faster than it did from your HDD.
Yep. In fact, you will use that virtual memory even if you don't populate all 4GB of system memory. Windows always tries to leave some memory free so may stop at 3GB used of the 4GB.

Windows does so because it may suddenly need more memory (i.e. opening a game). This means that you may see 3GB used but still experience some degraded performance due to delay swapping data between the HDD pagefile and system memory.

I have 16GB and when I boot up my PC it uses roughly 3GB, but after using Google Chrome etc it usually stays above 5GB. You may open and close a number of programs as well and if there's sufficient memory it will keep the launch exe (and related files) there so that the program launches faster than it did from your HDD.

Solution