What are the disadvantages on Having a low end Motherboard?

blueviper30

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
I just wanted to know if someone could explain or guide me what results in having a low end motherboard but having a high end GPU and CPU.
I know it'd create a bottleneck but could someone explain it more in detail?
Thank You for reading...

Well it depends on what you are trying to do. Probably the biggest disadvantage is the overclocking, or the ability not to. Honestly, it truly depends on what you want to do? Do you want one or two GPUs? Do you want 2 or 4 RAM slots? Do you want 2 or 6 USB ports on the back? Again, truly depends.

blueviper30

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
Okay take the example of my rig for instance
I have an i7-7700 and a GTX 970
The mobo I have is a ga-110m-s2 which is pretty low grade.. so what kind of results should I be expecting?
Thank you

Low end motherboard will have inferior cooling system (smaller heatsinks, some components like cpu vrm-s might not get heatsinks at all), it will have less usb ports, less sata ports, less PCIE slots, probably less ram slots also, no m.2 slot, no support for OC, weaker audio sub-system ... etc.
But - all those things don't necessary impact performance by much (except OC possibilities of course). So - if all those extras are not important for you, then there's not really any need to go for high end motherboard.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there really are not any bad mobo's anymore. just bad pricing. most disappointments come from mid-priced "overclocking" boards that don't really deliver.

a mobo that has the features you want and need at the right price is the one you want to get. if you don't need 10 usb ports, then a cheaper one with only 6 is good enough for you. only need a single pcie slot? then an expensive one with dual x16 slots is a waste of money. and so on and so on.

a bit of info from you about the other parts you'll use and what you want the pc to do is what we'd need to make any valid suggestions. but know that in general you're not gonna see any cpu/gpu performance loss at stock speeds between any mobo model. at least i've never seen any review/benchmarks that have shown any.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

the mobo won't hold back the no oc cpu or gpu in any noticeable way. trying to heavily oc the gpu may run into power issues from the mobo but that's about it. at stock speeds, power delivery is adequate. only when overclocking and ramping up power needs will a cheap mobo start to show why it was cheap.

Wolfshadw

Titan
A cheap motherboard will not create any type of CPU/GPU bottleneck.

The disadvantages of using the lower-end motherboards are:

The number of PCI-E lanes (typically a non issue unless you intend to SLI/Crossfire)
The number of USB 2.0/3.0 and SATAII/III ports both front and back (how many do you really need?)
On-board chip cooling (this could pose issues if your system is typically running hot).
Lower-end audio and network chip sets (given the advances over the years, generally a non-issue).

-Wolf sends

Well you are using a Skylake board with a Kaby Lake chip. It should work, but only after a BIOS update. I would have gone witha B250 if that was the case. You really should notice any performance lost, and it should have worked just fine. Are you having issues?

blueviper30

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
I actually have been having some issues... I've been trying to play Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed Unity on ultra settings (no OC) and it works decently with my specs... No overheating issues too
Here are my specs -
CPU - i7 7700
CPU fan - cooler master hyper 103
GPU - GTX 970 4gb
Mobo - GA-H110m-S2 DDR4
Ram - Kingston hyperx 16gb DDR4
PSU - Corsair VS550

But I've been experiencing random system reboots that I really can't explain why. I doubt it's my PSU because it supplies adequate power.