My screen freezes while gaming but i can still move my mouse

Shicklin01

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
I have a fairly new gaming pc (less than 5 months old) and havent had any problems to speak of so far. Recently though within the last week i have started to have problems where all 3 of my monitors would freeze up while gaming but i could still move my mouse around on the screen. the windows key and ctrl-alt-del and any other keyboard shortcuts don't work so i just have to do a hard reboot every time this happens. Any ideas on how to fix this and/or find the problem?

i5 6500
16gb Avexir ram
8gb XFX rx480
MSI b150m bazooka plus mobo

Shicklin01

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
I'll try to reinstall the drivers. i've done some more testing and found that it happens whenever i try to change the volume or plug in or unplug a pair of headphones or something so would that be the audio drivers? also i can control the computer like pause/play a youtube video but the screen is frozen and doesn't move i can only hear the audio

Dutchpixel

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

What cable do you use to connect the monitor? Have you tried to disable Nvidia hd audio in device manager.

Shicklin01

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
I'm using an hdmi cable for my main monitor, an hdmi-dvi for my second, and a DVI for the third but I only game on the main monitor. Would nvidia have hd audio on my pc since I have an rx480? I have also found that this only seems to happen with Ubisoft games like rainbow six siege and far cry 4.

Dutchpixel

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

Sorry i was confused with another post. If you have the latest drivers than check your temps with Afterburner/Rivatuner. Are you using the hdmi that came with the monitor?

Shicklin01

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
My temps are all good so I don't think that is a problem. When it freezes all 3 monitors freeze but i can move my mouse across all of them. I've been testing when it happens a bit and it happens whenever I click out of the game to do something else like pause a YouTube video or something and also when I try to change the volume with my mouse buttons

Dutchpixel

Commendable
Feb 26, 2016

Do you have to force restart or does the game crash or close eventually. Because it only happens with ubisoft games i recommend opening a support ticket at ubi support. I think its software related.