Delete hard disk partitions for clean installation of Windows 10?

Arj322

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
I have an 32-bit Windows 10 installed and I need to make it to 64-bit as my processsor is x64 based so, I need to perform a clean install
I have 3 main partitions from a single hdd 1st one is the OS, second and third are my data like personal stuff. So, my question is, should I delete them all for a clean install?

Solution
From what you describe, you only *need* to delete the OS partition and recreate to install x64.

Ultimately, it's going to depend specifically what's on the other partitions. If it's just 'bulk' storage, media files, documents etc - then you can leave those alone. If you have programs installed to them in addition to 'bulk', then deleting those would probably be a smart idea to avoid any (potential) conflicts.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
From what you describe, you only *need* to delete the OS partition and recreate to install x64.

Ultimately, it's going to depend specifically what's on the other partitions. If it's just 'bulk' storage, media files, documents etc - then you can leave those alone. If you have programs installed to them in addition to 'bulk', then deleting those would probably be a smart idea to avoid any (potential) conflicts.

Solution

macky21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Removing them all is not necessary unless you want to switch to using 1 partition instead of 3. You could simply erase/overwrite the OS partition and install over it.

Whichever you decide you should definitely take a backup if you haven't already, just in case.

Arj322

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017

Thank you Barty!