Having problems immediately following boot-up; starting to wonder if it's related to OS or hardware

BuffMuffles

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Hey there, forum friends. Had a question for you guys and gals, since I'm still relatively new to the technical side of PC software.

I upgraded to Win10 from Win7 awhile back, while they were running the upgrade program. I've enjoyed the OS for the most part, with no issues to speak of, until roughly 72 hours ago. I was playing a relatively system-intensive game (Black Desert Online, specifically), when all of a sudden, my PC had a strange graphics issue, with the screen suddenly displaying nothing but alternating colored vertical bars. (Also, the sound in my headphones went into a buzzing sound.) The system then shut off. I turned it back on, and it worked fine again.

Jump about a day later, this time, I'm playing Final Fantasy XIV; it happens again, same bars, though different colors (likely based on the display at the time, if I had to guess). Computer goes down--this time, however, Win10 will not boot. So after a bit of trying, the computer makes it into the built-in recovery mode. I tried everything in here, exhausting all the options. Not a single thing worked. I then managed to get it into Safe Mode after messing with the restart options (my last hope), where I was able to confirm the hard drive still had my files intact. I got my stuff out on some flash drives, then cleaned off the drive. Using a recovery media on a USB, I performed a clean reinstall of Win10 onto the empty drive, and made it all the way to the standard screen (I want to say it's just called a desktop? Not 100% sure). I immediately noticed the system tray wasn't aligned right; Cortana, for instance, was elevated above her default position, in the wrong spot, and my system clock didn't look right. The wallpaper default was also messed up as well, with several large squares slowly moving around the screen. It then crashed again, and will not boot once more.

My question to you wonderful lot is: Does this sound like a Windows issue? Or, is it possibly my hard drive or GPU that is now acting up? Whatever it is, something is seriously wrong with my PC.

(Additionally, I've opened up the case to check for wires unplugged/damaged, as well as a basic visual check on each of the components... I can't find anything wrong to the naked eye aside from a bit of dust, which has been nearly constant these past 3 years with this rig.)

For reference, the relevant parts of my build are as follows:
Corsair CX750M PSU
2 sticks of Ripjaws 8GB RAM
GIGABYTE F2A88XM-D3H Motherboard (at least, I think it is the board, there's also an ASUS component somewhere in the case, but I don't know which is which...)
WDC WD10EZEX-75M2NA0 (1TB) Hard Drive
AMD Radeon R7 265 GPU

Thank you all so much for your time, and any assistance you may be able to give in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you in the time to come.

Solution
Looks like dying (or already dead) GPU. If you have access to another comp, put your GPU there and see if it behaves the same.

BuffMuffles

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the only other rig I have access to is too old to use for the transplant, so I can't check it that way. That said, I managed to get a picture of the graphics just prior to the recent crash--perhaps this will help?

http://imgur.com/a/qYFOH

Not a typical example of artifacts on that screenshot as far as I see it. If not for a crash, I would say it could be monitor problem, but no monitor problem can cause comp to crash.
Your motherboard supports CPU with integrated graphics, but you didn't mention what CPU you have, so don't know if this will work, but you can remove GPU, connect monitor to motherboard and try to boot; assuming your CPU has integrated graphics you should be able to get to Windows this way.

BuffMuffles

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

Hey again, thanks for the follow-up. I'm going to go ahead and select your first reply as best answer, as I sincerely believe it to be true. I still don't know exactly what model my motherboard is, but luckily it does have integrated graphics, and so far it has worked like a charm. Windows 10 has been stable (knock on wood), downloads and internet are working fine, resolution is back to normal, and everything that had been occurring visually-speaking has ceased thus far. Time to look into a new graphics card, I suppose; I already tried some compressed air to clean the dust off of my old one and reinstalling it, but it still had stability issues. Earlier today, I went back and updated the drivers to their most current form; that still did nothing in terms of stopping the failure. Here's hoping an upgrade helps with those issues permanently.

Thanks again, I appreciate it!