Desktop Disk Usage 100%

Glenn Bruland

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
Wasnt 100 % sure where to put this thread but I'll try here.

So if I boot up, disk usage stays at 99-100%, until pc shuts down.
If i then boot up the computer again its fine, and uses "normal" disk usage on idle.

I can also just shut it down and it works fine lile that too.

However, if i then come back tomorrow same problem again.

Ram stays about 9 % and cpu around 10 % and drops after a few minutes.

I've read people saying it could be due too hdd being to full but has 660 gb free so..

Also tried disabling a service called superfetch as some sugested on another post it could be an issue. But sure didnt do much for me
Helo would be greatly appreciated.

Also got 16gb og ram.
Windows 10 64 bit

Solution
Compatelrunner.exe has to do with scanning your system if you opted in to the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/fpintos/2016/11/24/compattelrunner-exe-running-disk-hot-and-consuming-too-many-resources-in-windows-10/

Just Google Compatelrunner.exe and you will find many links with people complaining about high disk use, hot HDD, etc.
If you go into Task Manager and then the Processes Tab, then click on the Disk Tab (to toggle the results from low to high or vice verse), you should see which process or processes are causing the high disk activity. Perhaps disk defrag is occurring too frequently.

I have 5 chrome tabs open, plus Windows Media Center and my disk usage hovers between 1% and 3%. The highest 3 processes are all at .1 MB/s. Occasionally Chrome goes up to .4 MB/s, may be due to iHeart Radio being on.

You may have some hidden processes causing the disk usage.

If you go to the Performance Tab on Task Manager, then the Open Resource Monitor button near the bottom, then when Resource Monitor opens click on Disk, and it will show all processes with disk activity.

G9BX93Q.png

Compatelrunner.exe has to do with scanning your system if you opted in to the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/fpintos/2016/11/24/compattelrunner-exe-running-disk-hot-and-consuming-too-many-resources-in-windows-10/

Just Google Compatelrunner.exe and you will find many links with people complaining about high disk use, hot HDD, etc.

Solution