RAM Speed stuck at 1600

Sabin_16

Prominent
May 22, 2017
So I just built my rig and when I loaded into my BIOS I noticed that my RAM speed was at 1600mhz then when I changed it to XMP and then changed the speed to the speed I bought my RAM at which was 2133mhz I saved the changes and restarted. But then when I turn on my system it turns on and then repeatedly. What should I do
Setup:
i5 2500k @3.3gGHZ
G. Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB @2133mhz
ASUS P8P67 LE
Seasonic G- Series 600W

Sabin_16

Prominent
May 22, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Sabin_16 : "RAM Speed stuck at 1600mHZ"

So I just built my rig and when I loaded into my BIOS I noticed that my RAM speed was at 1600mhz then when I changed it to XMP and then changed the speed to the speed I bought my RAM at which was 2133mhz I saved the changes and restarted. But then when I turn on my system it turns on and then repeatedly. What should I do
Setup:
i5 2500k @3.3gGHZ
G. Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB @2133mhz
ASUS P8P67 LE
Seasonic G- Series 600W

blockhead78

Distinguished
First thing I'd check is that the ram is in the correct dimm slots (should be in 1 & 3, or 2 & 4).

If that's fine, then it could be that the XMP profile is not providing enough voltage.

depending on which model your ram is, the manual timings are here:
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-17000cl9d-8gbxld
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-17000cl11d-8gbxl

Check to see if the XMP profile is set to the correct voltage, as per the links.

If not, manually dial in the timings and voltage in your bios.

blockhead78

Distinguished
in that case I'd check if there's a newer bios available for your mobo

if that doesn't improve things, it sounds like you might have a bent pin on the mobo socket. even if just one pin is slightly bent it can effect memory working properly

So if the bios update doesn't work, or it's already up to date, then it would be best to remove the CPU and closely check the socket pins (magnifying glass if needed)