Gaming PC and cheap laptop, or gaming laptop?

Kim_Tipsy

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
Hello Tomshardware forum.

I'm aware that this type of questions has been discussed and answered before, but I have multiple other questions regarding the topic that I would like other peoples viewpoint on.

My recent ASUS gaming laptop brokedown, and i've been ping-ponging the idea of getting a decent pc-dekstop setup with a cheap laptop for college-related work, or a all-in-one gaming laptop.

Reading and gathering information, many people suggest's that 'gaming-laptops' is a bad idea because of overheating, dimmed-down specs, short lifespan, no re-sell value etc., and i'm beginning to see the picture after have gone through 2 labeled 'gaming' laptops over the last 4 years.

- Now i've narrowed down to 2 choices:

Choice 1 - Gaming laptop:
Buying the HP Omen or Dell Inspiron with GTX 1050, Intel 5-7 gen, 256 SSD, 8 GB RAM etc. for around the price of 800-900 dollars.

Choice 2 - Gaming setup with cheap laptop:
Buying a ADMI ULTRA GAMING PC from Amazon with AMD FX-6350, Six Core 4.20GHz Turbo CPU, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM and 240GB SSD Storage. This i've combined with a ASUS 24 inch monitor, a keyboard from HAVIT and last but not least, a Chromebook from Acer. All of this adds up at around 1000 dollars.

Other than the 100 dollars diiference, the specs are about the same, but more experiences gamers tell me that laptop specs are dimmed down to help with cooling/overheating and wont perform as good. Also, have other people tried buying already-made gaming desktops from Amazon? Other than the 100 positive costumer reviews, i've found nothing discussing it.

What is you guys opinion and point of view regarding this?

Cheers in advance.

Kim

Links:
ULTRA GAMING PC:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MRBFE8I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A17AS5ETPMZ9A1&psc=1
Acer Chromebook:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FFBN4W4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1BH9KDLHV4KB5&psc=1
Dell Inspiron:
http://www.dell.com/dk/p/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/pd (on danish, sorry)

This really depends on you. Since I don't care about carrying a gaming system from place to place, for myself I would go with a gaming desktop and a cheaper laptop.

The system you picked is barely a gaming system, much less an "Ultra" one. The CPU is a 5-6 year old design on a dead platform. Very likely it's a low quality power supply as well. This makes no sense at all "A Great Mid-High End Entry Level Gaming PC", is it a Mid, a High or Entry level system they are selling? Or a Mid-High meaning upper level of Mid? Or a Mid-High meaning mid range of High? And if it's Mid-High it certainly can't be "Entry Level" at the same time. The only decent thing I see is that is has a 1050 Ti which is on the lower mid range of modern video cards. Stay away from that system.

Chromebooks unless you know exactly what they are and understand the restrictions I would also stay away from.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
That gaming PC you picked like he said is like 6 years old. I wouldn't call that ultra, is entry level for gaming.. With those system specs you won't be able to play new games at full 1080p if you don't lower all the sittings down.

mbroswag

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
DONT spend most of your money on a laptop instead, build a decent computer that fits your budget and play games on that. For the laptop get a decent enough chrome book or if you are lucky even a laptop. The upgrade options on a desktop are so much better. If you get a laptop they overprice you for the parts and plus you have to pay for the assembly fee. If you do things on your own like build a computer you will save a lot of money on the long run. Don't listen to those people that try to hook you up with a laptop. the truth is they are not up to standard and you are throwing your money away. build the computer yourself trust me!