Help on new 144hz monitor

Seth_11

Commendable
May 11, 2016
I currently own the acer gn246hl bbid 144hz monitor. It has serious ghosting issues with no way to fix it(the overdrive is set to extreme with no options in the osd to change it). Im gonna sell that monitor and upgrade to either the popular asus vg248qe or the benq xl2411. My question is which one should i get, are there better options than these two? Im also looking into a dual monitor setup, i want a dedicated gaming monitor and a decent ips display, can anybody recommend some good cheap ips displays, ive never owned or even looked at ips displays so its new to me.

Solution
I think between the benq and the asus its kind of a toss up. They are both the exact same screen by AU Optronics, so they should look the same unless you are using the enhancing features. both companies should have similar features, and i know that BenQ's anti ghosting enhancements are really good. But that being said, the Panel from AUO doesnt suffer from any issues that i know of.

so if you are a fanboy of either group, take your pick!

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
how about a 144hz 1440p TN for gaming? I dont like getting a refresh rate that high without the added pixels. Without more positions for objects to exist, the effect of the higher refresh rate becomes less intense. you can look at 1080p 1440p and 4k monitors locked at 60hz and display a 1080p image on them and it will be smoother on the higher resolution screens even though the image resolution is the same. the same holds true on a 144hz display. for instance if you are panning the scenery and you there is a tree. and that tree moves a half inch across the screen in one second. the screen has the ability to display 144 discrete positions during that time frame. but if the ppi of a 24inch 1080p display is ~99 than over that half inch there are only 99 discrete places for the image border. so even if the screen can display 144 times a second there arent enough discrete positions to get the full smoothing effect.
if you get a 1440p monitor at 27 inchs your lookign at about 108ppi. Not a world of difference, but that will sharpen the moving image noticeably.

also rememebr that the faster the games are that you play, the less noticeable the effect becomes. So if you just playing CSGO, LoL DOTA or HotS all day, it will improve the resolution of the image. but in slower games like skyrim you will notice a sharper image AND increased smoothness with a 1440p monitor at 144hz compared to 1080p at 144hz

Seth_11

Commendable
May 11, 2016

I was looking into a 1440p display at 144hz the cheapest ones such as the dell s2417dg even has g sync. Its just a little out of my price range. I also have a gtx 1060 which i dont think could run 1440p over 60fps

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

In games like CSGO HotS DOTA and LoL your 1060 should be fine running 1440p @ 144hz. obviously in more demanding games you wont get the extra frames but you can keep the monitor through your next GPU, which whenever that is should get the more out of the screen. Plus with G-Sync the monitor and the GPU will get the most out of each other @ 1440p. G-Sync is really good when your below 50% of the monitors refresh rate.

I think a monitor is a much better investment than a GPU. I've had my 1440p 144hz monitor for over a year now and the retail value has only dropped like 15% where-as high end GPU prices can be much more volatile. Also, people are still struggling to get 60hz out of certain games at 1080p. That means it will be years before you 1440p monitor at 144hz is the weakest link in your build. And lastly, once you start breaking 100hz, even your processor starts to hit a ceiling. Even games like bordelands struggle to stay above 120hz on my 4670K@4.6Ghz.

Seth_11

Commendable
May 11, 2016

Thanks for explaining, so would the dell be a good option because i really couldnt afford anything above 350$ at most even that is pushing my budget. So lets say i still decided to go 1080p 144hz due to budget would the benq or asus be better?

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I think between the benq and the asus its kind of a toss up. They are both the exact same screen by AU Optronics, so they should look the same unless you are using the enhancing features. both companies should have similar features, and i know that BenQ's anti ghosting enhancements are really good. But that being said, the Panel from AUO doesnt suffer from any issues that i know of.

so if you are a fanboy of either group, take your pick!

Solution