PC turned off during reinstallation for win10

Fallore

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
Hello. I am currently using a Toshiba laptop that originally ran windows 7.

I was resetting the entire computer while keeping personal files and during the reinstallation of windows 10 it was stuck on around 92% for a couple hours so I forced the power off. This is where the problem came.

When I turn the computer on, it shows the normal splash screen for the toshiba logo then goes straight to a blue screen menu which I assume is safe mode. And this is where I am stuck on and have no clue what to do.

When I press Continue(Exit and continue to Windows recover environment) it goes to the Toshiba splash screen then goes straight back to the blue menu.

When I press System Restore, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, and Go back to previous build buttons, they turn white and freeze. I waited a half hour each to see if it was just loading but it just froze even though I can still move my mouse. To get out of this I turn off the laptop and turn it back on to return to the blue menu.

I've tried to Reset this PC and I chose Keep my files and it says "no changes were made" when I chose Remove everything it freezes while turning white.

I do not care about my files at this point, I want to be able to access my desktop and play my usual games (as my goal)

Solution
If you don't care about files at all I should say to freshinstall Windows from USB drive is the fastest solution. One can spend days trying to figure out the broken Windows.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
When you powered down, this damaged the installation and primarily the Master Boot Record (MBR). You can try resetting the MBR but in cases like this it likely won't work. Still, if there's a chance of recovering your data, this is it.

MBR Reset: http://pureinfotech.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows-10/

Depending on the severity of damage done to the MBR, it's likely that a clean installation of the OS is required. Link is below.

Clean Install: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-do-clean-installation-windows-10

Not sure why you did all of this in the first place, I assume to clear your computer of clutter? Either way, you will want to run a backup in case something else happens, but even then if I suspect that's why, restoring to snapshot or disk image would be better. There's even free options for these tools like Rollback Rx (snapshot) and Macrium Reflect (disk imager).

TRENDING THREADS