Help using desktop & laptop internet

Will_88

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
Hi.

I have a desktop which is on a wired connection. However, my laptop does not have an ethernet port.

How do I connect my laptop to the desktop wirelessley to share the wired internet connection my desktop has?

ps. my desktop does NOT have a wireless card or anything in it.

Thanks
Will

Kenton82

Reputable
I take it that the router you are connected to via ethernet on your desktop has no wireless function? If not you could easily purchase one and connect it up to the original router.

Will_88

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
Hi.

THe issue I have is the main router is in the office which is wireless also. So the main office I can connect wireless no problem.

However, I need to work in an office in a different building but the internet is wired through the wall and into the desktop pcs. The pcs connect through a phone system also.

The offices I am in have a TP Link Desktop Switch, which would be great if my laptop has an ethernet port.

But since it doesn't, my only guess is somehow turning either the Desktop or TP Link Switch which only has ethernet ports on it into a wireless hub somehow.

I am a novice here so looking to buy a device to share the wired internet my desktop has, wirelessley to my laptop?

Thanks

Kenton82

Reputable

Ah, ok, i understand now. Ok, well one quick question, has your laptop got USB 3.0?? If it has, at least one of the USB connections will be blue inside (best way of checking)
If it has, then you can use a USB to Ethernet adaptor at Gigabit speeds! Something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-to-10-100-1000-Gigabit-Ethernet-RJ45-LAN-Network-Adapter-for-Computer-PC-/141938752993?epid=1066022473&hash=item210c357de1:g:TTAAAOSwdU1W87Xo

If your laptop has only USB 2.0 (older style USB which are black on the inside) You can still use a USB to Ethernet adaptor, but the speed of the connection will max out at about 100Mbps. Like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fast-10-100Mbps-USB-2-0-to-Ethernet-RJ45-LAN-Network-Internet-Adapter-Cable-/162319715426?hash=item25cb024c62:g:k5AAAOSwXYtYzVj8

Depends if the work you are doing on the laptop is data heavy, like streaming HD video or transferring large files.

Hope this helps!
K.

Will_88

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
Thanks. I do not think I have 3.0 on laptop. In device3 manager only 3.0 mention is Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

The work I am doing on laptop is not generally data heavy. So using online software like Adwords, banking, dropbox, uploading and downloading images sometimes, social media etc...

What happens when it max's out? Will it just slow down?

Thanks

Kenton82

Reputable
Oh ok, all that will happen is sy for instance you were wanting to watch an HD movie, the download speed would be slower, and would thus take longer to complete. General networking and internet surfing speed would NOT be effected.

In a nutshell, it is the speed of the data transfer. Not limiting you to what you CAN do, just how fast it happens. So if you need to download, or upload a file very quickly, you may have to wait a little longer. If it is mainly images of a few MB's, you should be fine, and would not notice a particularly slow speed as such. But this also depends on the upload, and download speeds of your network.

Hope this makes things a little clearer for you.

Regards,
K.

Will_88

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Brilliant mate thanks alot.

Kenton82

Reputable

No problem, glad to help!
Do let me know how you get on.

All the best.
K