Windows 10 Update messed up start menu icons.

Blooregard

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I have Facebook, Netflix, Wikipeda..,etc setup as Google Chrome apps on my computer. These chrome apps were pinned to the start menu so they would appear as shortcuts on my full screen start menu. Each of these shortcuts had their own correct icon representing them.

I do this because the Facebook, Netflix and Wikipedia apps from the Windows Store do not work properly. They are slow, crash frequently or do not function at all. I have found that creating links to these sites as chrome apps works without issue.

Since the most recent update, all of the chrome app shortcuts now appear as a chrome icon, instead of their correct icons. I have tried un-pinning them, then re-pinning them, and I have also removed the chrome apps altogether and re-installing them, but I still cannot get the correct app icons to display. In the chrome apps folder they appear correctly, in the Start>all programs>chrome apps the icons appear correctly, and if I pin these to the taskbar, they show up with the correct icons.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have any suggestions?

Well, Ive been through the gamut of repair options for this.
Now, my computer cannot do a system restore, install updates or uninstall/reinstall the affected apps. The mail or calendar apps will not open and now the icons for these are blank.

In the Windows Store it tells me there is an update for the mail and calendar apps. However, when I try to install this update, I get an error "Code: 0x80070003" Research into this error code says it is a problem with windows update, but nothing specific.

If I pin Mail to the taskbar, it has an invisible button that when I hover over I get this :

@{microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.8241.407.85.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps/hxoutlookintl/AppManifest_MailDesktop_DisplayName}

I give up. Going back to Windows 7. It has been a constant battle with windows 10 since I installed it. I had everything working fine for about 1 week until the most recent update. Now, I have several relatives (mostly low-end, novice users at best.) whose computers are messed up (in similar various ways) because of this update, and they look to me for support.

Solution

I have heard this more than...

Blooregard

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

Unfortunately no. When I right-click on the fullscreen start menu icons, there are no properties or anything to let me change the icons. When I right-click on the icon, I get these options

• Unpin from Start
    Resize
    More
    Uninstall

I can, however, right click the icon(s), select "More" and then click "open file location". This takes me to where the shortcuts are located on my computer. I can change the icons from here but they already show as the correct icons. I have tried changing the icons to something else but they still remain as Google Chrome icons on the fullscreen Start menu.

It is only on my fullscreen start menu that all of these shortcuts display as the Google Chrome icon.

Blooregard

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

I guess I could do that.....but up until the update I was having issues with the News, Weather and other various apps. The apps would do nothing when I tried opening them. Just a quick flash of the app screen then nothing. Plus, I'd like to keep this computer up to date.

Blooregard

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

Yeah. Now its worse than ever. Tried a system restore and now totally messed up. Mail and Calender apps wont open, lots of other icons missing from start menu. Gonna have to do a complete reset. Dammit!

t53186

Distinguished

That really blows, sorry to hear, some folks seem to have rock solid experiences with win 10, some not so hot.

Blooregard

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

Since I've upgraded to Win 10 I've been wrestling with it. Then, about 2 weeks ago, everything just worked as it should and for a brief period, I loved Windows 10. Then the update happened. Every problem I have encountered has been the direct result of an update.

I have heard this more than once.
If you have windows 10 pro you can set to defer updates for quite a while.
Hopefully, the bugs get worked out by the time the updates are installed.

Past that, take a user checkpoint before any update so you can do a system restore if it should fail.

Solution

mackayr

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Perhaps you've already found a solution to this, but in case you haven't ...

After you create the shortcut in the start menu, do this:

1. Right click on App (the one with the wrong icon) > More > Open File Location
2. Locate the App in the window that appears > Right Click > Open File Location
3. In the window that appears, rename the file "chrome.VisualElementsManifest" ==> "chrome.VisualElementsManifest.old"
4. Go back to the previous folder
5. Delete the App icon
6. Drag the App from your desktop into this folder
7. Move and resize the app in your start menu, which should now appear correctly.

If you don't have the app on your desktop:
1. Open Chrome
2. Go to chrome://apps
3. Find the app > Right click > Create Shortcuts > Make sure "Desktop" is checked > Create
4. Go back to step 6 above

If the app isn't in your Chrome apps list:
1. Browse to the website you want to create the app from
2. Click hamburger icon > More tools > Add to desktop (make sure "Open as Window" is checked)
3. Go back to step 3 in the second set above

If the icon doesn't appear in the right hand side of the start menu after pinning to start menu:
1. Click start > Settings > Start settings
2. Toggle "Show recently added apps" to "On"
3. Click start and you should find the new app in the recently added apps section.
4. Right click on app > Pin to Start

Hope that helps!

Rob