Can you run windows 10 in a USB thumb drive partition?

Timstertimster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
I have a 16gb USB 3.0 thumb drive I would like to use in multiple ways:

1. I'd like to be able to have a portable windows 10 installation with full network support so I can use whatever GUI tools for maintenance.

2. I'd like to have a separate partition I can mount as a standard volume for just keeping various files handy.

Can that be achieved? If so, how?

Solution
As a installation for a specific PC you can get it to work with MEH results (remember a flash drive has on average 33%-20% of the read/write speed of even a normal magnetic hard drive.

As a means of plugging in the OS to different hardware this wont work. You cant take a windows installation for one computer, and plug that drive into a system with completely different hardware and it work with any stability.
As a installation for a specific PC you can get it to work with MEH results (remember a flash drive has on average 33%-20% of the read/write speed of even a normal magnetic hard drive.

As a means of plugging in the OS to different hardware this wont work. You cant take a windows installation for one computer, and plug that drive into a system with completely different hardware and it work with any stability.

Solution

Dont think a computestick really applies to the OPs purpose.

Wants a stick that can interface with another computer. not something can plug into HDMI port on TV or other display.

Colif

Win 11 Master

You already said this isn't a valid option

Windows To Go is a feature in Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education

so if you can get the education version from a school you may be attending, its the cheapest way to achieve this.

Timstertimster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Interesting idea with win2go. But it says internal disk aren't online so that's out. The point is to be able to administer the system.

I'm starting to think it might be easier to just have a win10 installation disk because I was totally amazed how fast that install was the day I upgraded using an OEM ISO.