1440 144hz TN vs 1080 144hz VA vs 1440 60hz ips

Agustin_6

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
Hey guys,

The title is pretty descriptive. All 27''.

I have the money to get one of those options. I live in south America and those are the options, please don't link me some Korean monitor from Amazon because it won't be available for me.

The VA panel is the Samsung 27 curved.

I can't decide, I almost discarded the 60hz one, and I'm between the other two.

I hear opinions!

Solution
I (personally) after having used an IPS, VA, and TN panel (all at the same time in my multi-monitor setup), feel that the IPS (and VA) lords over the TN panel as far as producing rich/vibrant (and true) colors. So, it may be a case-to-case basis as to which you prioritize more for using that primary monitor (depends on the games you play and how high the picture quality you want to be). If you care more about smooth and fast-paced gaming, then the TN as the primary monitor will do (as you still have your IPS as a secondary for other use). You'd definitely see the difference of the TN and the IPS once you extend the desktop/wallpaper in those 2 monitors - so, to some, that may be a bit off.

The 1440p (at 27") is an ideal resolution...
It really depends on your specific purpose/use of the monitors in question. Here are my thoughts/opinions:

1440p 144Hz TN
The most GPU-hungry among all monitors. Resolution and keeping up with the refresh rate (i.e., 100++ fps) requires a beefy GPU (think GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti). Fast and buttery-smooth refresh rate is ideal for fast-paced gaming (FPS/competitive shooters, racing, and the like). Not noticeable if using for slow/turn-basis games and general workstation applications. TN panels have fast response times, again, ideal for fast games, but, not ideal for professional photo/video editing and movies due to poor color reproduction and poor viewing angles.

1080p 144Hz VA (Curved)
The curve screen slightly adds an "immersion" factor specially on RPG/FPS games. The curve screen is not ideal for programs/applications where horizontal lines are reference points (such as CAD, 3D designs, and even Excel spreadsheets). Some find watching movies on a curved screen a bit off. The 1080p resolution on a 27" screen will have less dense pixel, which means, if the monitor is positioned closer to your vantage point, you may see individual pixels (pixelation). Ideal to be positioned much further away due to low pixel density, but, in turn, decreases the "immesion" factor of the curved screen. VA panel as better viewing angles than the TN panel. Balance of good color reproduction between the TN and the IPS.

1440p 60Hz IPS
The resolution is good for enhancing details in slower-paced games, and with a 60Hz refresh rate, will not necessitate a very powerful GPU as compred to the 1440p/144Hz. The IPS is the best panel type for editing works due to its good viewing angles and color reproduction. Some IPS panels exhibit bleeding along the edge of the screen which might turn viewers off especially on dark scenes. Lower response time compared to the TN panel, so, a lot of professional gamers (FPS) do not prefer IPS as it sacrifices faster input/response over picture/image quality.

Agustin_6

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Thanks for your answer!

I will use it at home, mainly for gaming, but I am also a developer.

Currently I have a 24'' IPS 60hz that will be my secondary.

Today I almost got the samsung one, but then I realized, im going to be sitting close to the monitor, I dont know if spending good money on a 1080p monitor is worth it.

Also, I dont know if I will feel a downgrade if I get the TN panel over my current monitor(AOC 24 IPS).

Thanks!

I (personally) after having used an IPS, VA, and TN panel (all at the same time in my multi-monitor setup), feel that the IPS (and VA) lords over the TN panel as far as producing rich/vibrant (and true) colors. So, it may be a case-to-case basis as to which you prioritize more for using that primary monitor (depends on the games you play and how high the picture quality you want to be). If you care more about smooth and fast-paced gaming, then the TN as the primary monitor will do (as you still have your IPS as a secondary for other use). You'd definitely see the difference of the TN and the IPS once you extend the desktop/wallpaper in those 2 monitors - so, to some, that may be a bit off.

The 1440p (at 27") is an ideal resolution if you'd be sitting close to the monitor. The TN monitor I have/had is also a 27" and based on my experience, placing it at less than 2 feet away from my eyes, I see pixelations (especially when not gaming). During gaming, the pixelation sort of "disappears" due to the illusion when playing fast paced games. When I got the 1440p (VA), the image became much richer with more details, and from that same vantage point, I got spot on visual acquity than the 1080p.

Solution