GPU won't work. need help.

XMaster160

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
so i recently bought a new graphics card, (MSI Radeon RX 460 2GB GDDR5) and took the old gpu out and installed it. the system recongnized it was there and i installed the drivers for it, but whenever i try to start a game(skyrim), i can't choose to use it in the settings, and in device manager it says this device has reported an error. also radeon settings won't open, saying something like drivers are not working properly.

My Specs are: Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, 4 GB of RAM. the system itself is a SFF Dell Optiplex 755.

(i tinker with it alot, and was told this graphics card should work. otherwise, I've been misinformed. please help.)

Thanks in advance :)

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
Make sure it's seated properly into the slot, try reinstalling the drivers or an older/latest version of the driver.
Try running a benchmark like Unigine Heaven to see if it detects/works on your GPU.
What exactly is the error?

XMaster160

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

I have tried all of those, and even just tried uninstalling drivers, reinstalling the card itself, and reinstalling the drivers, to no avail. I don't know why it's doing this. when i try to open radeon settings it says "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware." Device manager says: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
It's clearly a driver issue. Which OS are you using? Make sure the drivers are properly compatible with your OS, check the download website for the list of supported drivers or something. Intel KabyLake iGPU drivers have issues with Windows 7, they work only on Win10 but there is a special BETA driver which works on Win7 properly. Maybe that's the case.

XMaster160

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
I know it's a driver issue, and have checked that as well. I have also tried older drivers and the latest ones too. I am using windows 10 if that helps.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
I personally hate Windows 10, and it's still an "OS under development". Try installing the latest "Updates" or upgrading to the latest "build" and then try the drivers, though chances are that it's because of Windows 10. I'm assuming that you tried a quick google search with this issue, if you didn't, search it.

If you have a spare Windows 7 installation disk, partition your drive into two, install Windows 7 on the other drive and try installing the drivers there. If it works there, it's clearly an OS issue and can't be fixed as of now.

XMaster160

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Yes, yes i do. I'm not THAT computer illiterate. Lol

You have to ask mate , you'd be surprised at the answer sometimes :-/

What GPU were you running before the RX 460 ??

So you're saying you're getting a display fine , the card would appear to be just working as a generic VGA device , & anything using direct x is not working ??

XMaster160

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Lol.

I was running an XFX Radeon HD 5450.

yes. that and AMD settings won't work. look at some of my older posts(or whatever they're called) above. I even reinstalled the hd 5450 and it's drivers earlier and it worked like it usually does.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
It could be an old driver conflict. Remove the old GPU drivers completely and install the new ones?

And it's obvious but still, have you tried using drivers from the driver CD which came with the GPU? Those default drivers have ALWAYS worked for me on every OS, even Windows 10.

XMaster160

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

I use DDU (display driver uninstaller) to completely get rid of all old drivers. also i'm pretty sure i tried the cd drivers. the cds' setup exe wasn't working though so i went into the cd and manually activated the driver setup/installation process. i might try again just to be sure. tell me what you think.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
It's totally a Windows 10 issue then. If you have any friend or person you know who has a Windows 7 PC, try plugging your new GPU in their system if it supports, and then trying the drivers. See if it works. If that doesn't work, there might be something wrong with the GPU.

XMaster160

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
installing using the software on the cd didn't work. it updated to the latest version of the drivers, but didn't help. this is weird that it still doesn't work. i've never had a problem with my pc that persisted this long. :\

I don't really know anyone that has a win7 pc that i could try this on. not one that's compatible with this card at least

XMaster160

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

i will try