Asus vg248qe Displayport issue

UnclePete

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Few months ago, got a pc setup to work which consist of:

Asus H170 Pro Gaming (which has a displayport port)
Intel 6700k
no graphic card

A few weeks ago, I tried turning on the pc, and it there was no displayport signal. After several round of trials and error, I thought that the displayport cable I have died. So I went and bought a new displayport cable from Amazon, while using a HDMI cable before the displayport cable arrive.

Today, my new displayport cable arrived and when I hooked it up to my monitor, it display the same "Displayport No Signal" message on my screen.

Hooked my hdmi cable up while the displayport cable is still attached, and the monitor switch to use hdmi cable automatically and displayed my desktop. Tried manually making the monitor switch to use displayport, but still said no signal, so switched back to HDMI.

So I have 3 theory.

1. My old displayport cable spoiled, and the new one that I just bought, is actually also spoiled. Hence why both displayport cable causes no signal.

2. Displayport port on either my motherboard or monitor spoiled, resulting in this mess

3. Some driver caused my CPU or motherboard to stop using displayport for some reason. I remember the night before this issue, window asked to update my system. I approved it and went to sleep. Next day I thought my monitor died. (looking back at that moment show that it happened on 12 May 2017, an update called Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2987107))

While unlikely, I just want to throw out as much information as possible and hope that someone have an answer to my predicament.

UnclePete

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
The monitor came with a dual link DVI, which I chose not to use when I buy this monitor because I thought it doesn't support sound. Which after trying, show that it doesn't, but the visual connects.

This are the following steps I did:

1. Unplugged HDMI Cable
2. Plugged in Dual Link onto the DVI slot on both the motherboard and monitor
3. Turn on PC

4. The computer turn on, and the visual show.
5. Tried going onto youtube to see if sound works, it doesn't

6. Re-attached the HDMI cable
7. Realised that the monitor essentially work as an screen extension on itself because now I have 3 cable plugged in.

8. Went to screen resolution to see what is the deal
9. The computer now think that there is 3 display, either because there is 3 cable coming out of the motherboard, or 3 cable going into the monitor (Dual Link, HDMI, Displayport)
10. All the display is named vg248qe, because it is the same monitor

What is bizarre to me is that, why does the computer think that there is 3 display if the Displayport is spoiled?
When I try to fiddle with the screens, here is the result:

Screen 1: Can't change resolution or Orientation. Cannot make this the main display either. Without doing anything, this screen is the odd 1 out. Presumed to be from the displayport
Screen 2: Presumed to be Dual Link, because when I disconnect screen 3 (not literally unplugging the cable, from the screen resolution interface window, there's an option to disconnect this display), the HDMI displayed no signal, and going into DVI causes the visual to be working, but no sound
Screen 3: Presumed to be HDMI.

When I tried to "Extend to this display" on Screen 1, it doesn't change anything, and clicking "keep changes" doesn't actually change anything as it just revert back to "disconnect this display"

If its 1 of the IO port that is faulty, how is it that the computer detect 3 display?

I myself is very confused with the current predicament, would appreciate any advise.

UnclePete

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
No I do not, the other monitor I have is a Dell S2340L, which does not support displayport. Any other way to check if its the issue on the motherboard/monitor end of the port?