Looking for a Gaming 4K Monitor !

andiedee

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2012
Looking for a gaming monitor roughly with the budget of 1.5k, i'll be getting a 1080 Ti sometime soon, and just wondering which monitor would be best for me.

Just wanting to know if theres any monitors i should be waiting for before i buy, as i don't want to buy something now when something else is around the corner.

I know its quite limited at the moment, but just want professional guidance as if i should go 4k or not..

Solution
G-Sync is useless if you have too much GPU power. :p
There aren't any, G-Sync is a premium cost addition, Freesync isn't.
Get two 1080 Tis, it's not wasted at 4k, allows you to really crank stuff.
Think of it this way, at 1440p ultra, it hits 70-ish fps consistently in most AAA intensive titles, taking into account shadows are demanding, and you only need 4x MSAA at 4k.
At 4k, which is 4x 1080p where 1440p is 1.6x 1080p roughly, it'll be fine.

andiedee

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2012
That's an absolutely dreadful choice, you can get a monitor with even better image quality and 6ms response time for half of the price, Asus just sticks G-Sync and ROG on stuff then marks it up a mile.
Get this @OP, your budget for a 4k monitor is too high, this is one of the best ones on the market.
The rated 4ms response time on that monitor is closer to 6-7ms.

Luxury choice: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jFTrxr/dell-monitor-p2715q

Cheaper choice: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yfx9TW/lg-27ud58-b-270-60hz-monitor-27ud58-b

Use that extra cash to get yourself two FTW 1080 Tis.

andiedee

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2012

isn't it overkill if i get another 1080 on just a 60hz monitor?
plus i really want g-sync as it does do something i guess, i do know where you're coming from though, using a cheap panel and sticking g-sync on it and bumping on the price.. is there any g-sync monitors that don't do that?

G-Sync is useless if you have too much GPU power. :p
There aren't any, G-Sync is a premium cost addition, Freesync isn't.
Get two 1080 Tis, it's not wasted at 4k, allows you to really crank stuff.
Think of it this way, at 1440p ultra, it hits 70-ish fps consistently in most AAA intensive titles, taking into account shadows are demanding, and you only need 4x MSAA at 4k.
At 4k, which is 4x 1080p where 1440p is 1.6x 1080p roughly, it'll be fine.

Solution