Lag when cursor hovers over icons......

Autobot2000

Commendable
Mar 1, 2017
I was given an old laptop hp dv7-6135dx from a friend who no longer wanted, or to deal with the trouble of it anymore. And thought i could use it for simple task, web and what not. But after doing a clean install i noticed that when hover the cursor over desktop icons or move it over any of the icons in the task bar i notice about 2 sec lag before the icons show a highlight that your cursor is over that icon. Same lag when i click the window icon to bringing up the menu and same with search, there is little lag, When i type to search something, i type but then after about 2 secs the text shows up.

That laptop came with windows 7 and then was upgraded to 10 for free, but i formatted it and just did a clean install of win 10 only, I had to update the drivers using a free driver update software as hp site only has drivers for win 7.

I have tired few things like, disabling services like superfetch and windows search. Change settings in virtual memory. and others. but it remains, and im not sure if this lag can effect the system in general. But its bugging me to no end

thanks for your time

Autobot2000

Commendable
Mar 1, 2017

Not sure why i didnt think of this before, thanks, but yeah i ran 4 scans on it and 3 of the 4 can back with cautions, esp on the Current Pending Sector Counts. So it seems the drive is slowly going to die. Plus just noticed with a scan that the drive is 750gb but i only show less then 700 for total, so im missing 50 somewhere to something. Thanks for the tip, hopefully a new HD will solve this problem.