ASUS Crosshair Vi Hero RAM Question

adambrennan

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
Hey all, I just finished a new build:

Asus Crosshair Vi Hero - BIOS 1201
Ryzen 1800x
4x8gb LPX Corsair 2400 (CMK32GX4M4A2400C16)
ASUS Strix GTX 1070
Corsair RM850x
Corsair M.2 120gb
Corsair H110i

Full disclosure I am an utter noob at building and have a very very flimsy understanding of what I am doing here :).

I am having what I believe is a RAM issue. At 2133 everything seems stable but when I change the profile for 2400 I am getting intermittent crashes (blue screen). I assumed that it was a voltage issue so manually set the voltage to 1.2000 but the board will not go over 1.17.

What is really confusing is that @2400 I ran Prime95 (blend) for an hour without issue, but as soon as I clicked 'stop all workers' the system crashed.

I am currently running everything at stock after clearing the CMOS (2133 15-15-15-36) but I am still getting Q-code 24 which if I understand it right is related to memory. I also just updated the chip driver to latest.

The machine is primarily for design/animation so I am torn as to whether to leave things well alone or to dig a little deeper?

I have read plenty on RAM issues with the board but just wanted to get your 2c's on it. TIA.

adambrennan

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

OK I have manually set the timings and will see what happens now. I am starting to wonder if it is a windows problem as from what I have read AMD crashes tend to be black screen and I am only getting blue (sadface) screen !!

Dustybin

Respectable
Feb 24, 2016
If you manually set the timings and things seem stable in windows then try running a test on the RAM. Prime95 is good for testing stability, if that can run for a few hours with no errors you're probably fine.

SMT profiles often seem pretty flaky for AMD so I wouldn't be surprised if loading that wasn't the cause of your problem.