Should I buy a calibrator when I don't do photo work?

IntergalacticSpy

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I'm on the fence, I have a dell s2417dg and I'm using someone else's ICC profile. It looks ok to me but I don't have anything good to compare it to other than online test images. Is it worth the money to buy a calibrator (like colormunki display I'm looking at)? I use the PC for regular home use including Office, web browsing, and gaming. On some occasions we do colorful powerpoints. So far though I do not print photos or any of that kind of stuff.

I'm not sure I should rely on someone else's ICC profile in the long run. I'm told monitors change their characteristics over time. Maybe I'm trying to convince myself but I don't want to spend the money needlessly.

4745454b

Titan
Professional users get them calibrated, not home users. No body wants to go to a painter and look at one color on his screen, only to find the paint a different shade on the wall. If this is all home use then I agree with Hdmark. Just set it up however you like and use it. You aren't doing professional work with it so don't worry about it being 99% correct. 95% will do just fine.

IntergalacticSpy

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I should maybe point out that my monitor does not have a gamma adjustment so I have to rely on windows ICC profile or nvidia control panel to adjust it. And it needs adjusting, it's way off. I ran into an issue with nvidia control panel that sometimes the gamma correction isn't always applied, it's like something else is fighting with it. The ICC profile however seems to remain consistent. So it seems I need an ICC profile for this and using someone else's may have introduced other corrections that make things worse.

I wonder, is there a program to edit an ICC profile to change a gamma correction? I wouldn't mind taking the factory profile from Dell and trying to just change the gamma, because that looks generally ok when I do this in nvidia control panel.

TRENDING THREADS