Clean install of 64bit. Anything I'm missing in preparing?

cheburashka

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
I'm moving from 32bit to 64bit. I've downloaded the setup program and will need to reformat my hard drive from MBR to GPT and re-install. Before I do that, I want to make sure that I'm not losing anything important or completely disabling my computer.

I've used Windows' backup program to back up all my files to a separate hard drive. I have the product key from the 32bit installation of Windows 10. Am I correct in assuming that once I've installed the 64bit OS, I can just use "restore" in Windows backup to put things back the way they were?

Solution
I don't believe so, no.

Your backup is x86 (32bit) - if a system image. Installing x64 and trying to restore from a backup is likely to be problematic.

Simply backing up your files etc would be recommended, programs can be reinstalled.

As an FYI, I don't think you'll need the key to install (just skip with "i don't have a key" when prompted). It'll activate when back online - provided you're reinstalling the same "version" of Windows (ie Home x86 to Home x64 )

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't believe so, no.

Your backup is x86 (32bit) - if a system image. Installing x64 and trying to restore from a backup is likely to be problematic.

Simply backing up your files etc would be recommended, programs can be reinstalled.

As an FYI, I don't think you'll need the key to install (just skip with "i don't have a key" when prompted). It'll activate when back online - provided you're reinstalling the same "version" of Windows (ie Home x86 to Home x64 )

Solution