Crashes and bsod's when laptop plugged into power supply

Inwefunky

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
So for the last week or so I've been experiencing lots of freezes and automatic restarts, crashes and BSOD's with different messages, mostly DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (nvlddmkm.sys). The thing is these crashes only seem to occur when my laptop is being plugged into power supply and only when an application with relatively higher consumption is being run. When I unplug the laptop and use it in battery mode, the same apps and processes that were previously causing trouble and crashing the computer now work completely fine with no problems whatsoever, let alone crashes or bsod's.

I have already tried uninstalling and freshly reinstalling video drivers but the problems still persist.

As for any new software or hardware additions- no new software has been added before the crashes started to appear, perhaps the only mentionable thing that comes to my mind to add hardware-vise is a recently replaced laptop battery (not to brand original though), if that is of any significance. The new battery has been in use for more than a month now though and the problems only started to appear a week ago as I already mentioned.

I'm running Windows 10 on HP elitebook 8760w.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Solution
I'm not sure if it's the exact same but I'm having a very similar problem. Perhaps the solution is the same. I'm running Win10 (orig Win8) on a Lenovo Yoga 11s. It's pretty old but I can't really afford a new laptop rn. The only difference I think is that it doesn't seem to happen when I'm doing anything too resource-intensive, it's more or less random, as long as the charger is plugged in. The fan will usually be running pretty hard and then all of a sudden, it all just stops. I can turn it back on fine but it isn't too long before it crashes again. Time between crashes ranges from several hours, maybe a day, to just seconds. Sometimes in the middle of turning back on from a crash, it will crash again. I'm working on getting the memory...

mmiles19

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
I'm not sure if it's the exact same but I'm having a very similar problem. Perhaps the solution is the same. I'm running Win10 (orig Win8) on a Lenovo Yoga 11s. It's pretty old but I can't really afford a new laptop rn. The only difference I think is that it doesn't seem to happen when I'm doing anything too resource-intensive, it's more or less random, as long as the charger is plugged in. The fan will usually be running pretty hard and then all of a sudden, it all just stops. I can turn it back on fine but it isn't too long before it crashes again. Time between crashes ranges from several hours, maybe a day, to just seconds. Sometimes in the middle of turning back on from a crash, it will crash again. I'm working on getting the memory dump files now to see if I can't pinpoint the cause.

Solution