USB-C daisy chain Issue

bgwalker

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I am trying to get two blackmagic ultrastudio mini recorders to work through one USB-C port. The chain I have is through a Belkin 4-port mini hub with two usb-c ports- two kanex thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapters and the ultra stuio mini's.

The devices show up as Billboard Device. Am I just SOL or is there a way to get the chain to connect.

Solution
I suspect that Belkin is not a true Type-C hub as you are thinking. It is only rated for "5Gbps Data Transfer Speeds (shared)" which puts in the USB 3.1 Gen1 category. It cannot provide the necessary power or a bandwidth Type-C Gen2 (Aka 10Gbps) port would. Thunderbolt 2 is Gen1 and Thrunderbolt 3 is Gen2 so keep that in mind.

Edit: You can have Type-A and Type-C connectors and not be Gen2 supported. A lot of companies are doing this to get some sales because Type-C was originally known only for 10Gbps. Gotta read the fine print now....

iamacow

Admirable
I suspect that Belkin is not a true Type-C hub as you are thinking. It is only rated for "5Gbps Data Transfer Speeds (shared)" which puts in the USB 3.1 Gen1 category. It cannot provide the necessary power or a bandwidth Type-C Gen2 (Aka 10Gbps) port would. Thunderbolt 2 is Gen1 and Thrunderbolt 3 is Gen2 so keep that in mind.

Edit: You can have Type-A and Type-C connectors and not be Gen2 supported. A lot of companies are doing this to get some sales because Type-C was originally known only for 10Gbps. Gotta read the fine print now....

Solution