Using older HP DesignJet450C plotter with new Windows 10 desktop computer

wbsherlock

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
So, I have googling this for quite some time, and I am about to give up. I recently purchased a new desktop computer which is running Windows 10 64 bit. All of our other computers run Windows XP. Our plotter is an HP DesignJet 450C which is still working beautifully. Apparently, however, I cannot plot from my new computer because there are no drivers for this plotter available for Windows 10. This means I will have to buy a new plotter for a few thousand dollars which I was not anticipating spending. This is absolutely ridiculous, so I am hoping someone out there can figure out a work around since I am probably not the only person who has had this sort of problem. Anyone? Bueller?

wbsherlock

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
Yes, I tried that yesterday. I get an error message of "no .inf file found" or something similar. When I googled that, I realized I am way over my head! FYI, I went to Furman so go Paladins!

someone mentions this

Re: 450c and Windows 10
Options

‎05-14-2016 12:36 PM
I have had same problem

I downloaded drivers for the 430 as you know only plots in black. Noted a suggestion that 1000 range has same style of driver as required for 450

But have added Designjet 1050C then added a "patch" for windows Vista dated 2012  it was a 4.9 size file - Hey presto
coloured plots.

but the outlook doesn't look good, as the drivers where no longer made for this printer as of windows 7.

dvanbriesen

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I hate to rehash this 5 month old thread, but I was able to get my Designjet 430 working with Windows 10 before. After a reformat, I can't seem to get it to work again. The driver I believe is called "hp430x64glen". Based on my research, this is the driver people have used successfully with the 450 as well (since it's technically just a "400-series" driver). I think you used to have to disable requiring signed drivers (as process outlined online), but I don't think that is the case anymore with the driver I mentioned above.

Also, there used to be a website (a blog if I recall) where the person specifically laid out the steps on how to do it but I can't find it. I'm hoping someone with knowledge may be able to help me (and subsequently the original poster).

Essentially I'm able to get the driver installed and showing up in my list. I'm also able to get the computer to recognize the printer plugged into the USB port but it lists it as "USB Printing Support" in the Device Manager - if that matters. So, for a printer connected via USB, the process I've been trying (based on my memory of how to do it) is:

1) Plug the USB adapter into your USB 2.0 port (not 3.0).
2) "Add Printer" under "Devices and Printers"
3) "The Printer I Want Isn't Listed"
4) "Add a local printer or network printer using manual settings"
5) In the "Use an existing port:" drop down, you select the port the printer is plugged into
6) "Have Disk"
7) Install the driver I mentioned above

The issue I'm having is, the USB port that I've plugged the printer into (in this case, "Port_#0014.Hub_#0003" according to Device Manager) doesn't show up in the list of "use an existing port" drop down - is it supposed to?. I suspect I've missed a really obvious step, but I've gotten the computer to see that something is plugged in, and I've gotten the driver installed and showing up the devices and printers list (with a "device is working properly" note), I just cannot seem to link the driver to the "plugged in device" to get windows to recognize that its a printer that uses XYZ driver - when I try to "update driver" in Device manager, to force it to use the HP driver, it gives an error and says "windows has determined the best driver for this device is already installed". If that makes sense. When I try to print from Revit, it says "windows cannot communicate with the printer". And if I try to print from a PDF, if just gives a printer error in the print queue.

Anyway, here's hoping that this might start a conversation and the original poster will also get the answer he's looking for (while helping me out as well).

Thanks in advance!

Daniel