Intel Drivers Version Question - How to read version numbers

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Right or wrong, I've been one of the types that loves having my computer updated with the most current non-Beta drivers. I typically have no issues but have noticed that some Intel drivers (chipset and SATA RAID most recently) behave differently even when listed as supporting my hardware. I have a ASUS Prime Z270-A motherboard. Can someone explain Intel's numbering. For example...it seems that the third number in a driver version means something. General numbering is XX.X.X.XXXX. Most current example is that I currently have RAID driver installed as "Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller" with version 15.7.0.1014. When I install a newer 15.7.1.1015, it works, although it lists as "Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller." Computer boots but will not shut down or sleep properly. Is the "1" in the driver version something to do with consumer vs. enterprise or something? Both drivers say they support my chipset. For my education I'm curious. I've noticed similar with Intel chipset drivers. Thanks.

If you by hand are tossing in drivers with no knowledge of what they are for / what they relate to except "both drivers say they support my chipset" your tossing **** at the wall and waiting for things to stick, is a poor method of keeping a computer maintained.

Go to www.intel.com/support and download the support tool from Intel. It will scan your computer for proper drivers from Intel and suggest to install the correct ones.

Now there is a hundred different 'parts' or drivers in a 'driver' update, for example the driver for the CPU isn't the same driver as the I/O controller, much less the RAID controller. Each little part collectively as a set supposed to work together as "Intel" drivers when you do updates like this, BUT sometimes a file (thanks Windows) doesn't get updated. So what happens in your speeding along on all these other fine Intel parts and SMACK into something that isn't "driver" updated and causes some coughs and sputters, and your sitting there seeing some weird things happen or slowdowns.

This is where DRIVER UPDATE programs that look for all these 'other' parts and provides feedback on which ones are NOT being updated like they should. Currently I use IOBit's Driver Booster. So it doesn't show me "update Intel Drivers" but for example Intel LPC Controller didn't update or regressed somehow and tells me JUST that one part of Intel drivers needs to be applies, so it does it. Pretty snappy and simple I think. Also has details on the specific version number of one driver as compared to another (PCI Express Controller for example runs a different version).

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I'm sorry...I don't just randomly install drivers hoping they will "stick." I agree that is 100% dumb and I didn't think that was what I was inferring in what I wrote. All I wanted to know was whether anyone knew, or had a reference, that explained if Intel had specific rules for numbering their drivers. I used an example...which when I "research" the drivers both have my hardware ID listed don't necessarily behave correctly. I just was curious why.

Also, I've used driver updaters before and they aren't fool proof either. They mess up too...especially if they replace a motherboard or system manufacturer driver (e.g. audio drivers is a common one) with a part manufacturer one (Intel, Realtek, Conexant, Broadcomm, etc.). That wasn't my question though.

TRENDING THREADS