Would System Image stored on desktop be infected by virus? Is it safe to use it to restore the computer with it?

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
Hi,

When I did a clean install of my Windows 10 xps 13, I created a system image so that I can easily and quickly restore my system with all drivers and important programs etc. if I get a virus or any other issue. However, at the time, I did not have any available extra storage, such as an external hard drive, and so I just saved it to my desktop.
I was planning on getting an external hdd, but my system got infected by a virus and would like to use the image to restore the computer to that state.

Would it be safe to use the system image in this situation? Or would it be possible that the virus also infected the system image, and therefore should not use the image to restore the computer?

Thanks

Solution
It is going back in time if you will. Anything you installed or updated on your computer software will be as it was on the date that restore point was made! So, if you installed a program after the restore point it will be gone when you go back to that restore point. Same with video drivers and such.
And yes, do a total scan to make sure there are no viruses present!
Virus infected the image file?
Possible? yes, anything is possible.
Likely? not necessarily.
Will it work? If it was corrupted by Virus, it likely overwrote something critical in the file that stops it from working as intended.
Namely, once run, run this code (virus) instead, with little care about original stuff in file.
That would cause the image to be corrupt and.. quite likely fail due to that.
if it works, it is most likely clean but.... that is not 100% certain deal.

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

Would the restore point fully remove any malware that occurred after the restore point?

TechiGamer

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013

Ah I see. Perfect! I'm assuming that a virus infecting the actual restore point is very unlikely if not impossible?

Also, would a scan with a program like Kaspersky be enough to remove absolutely EVERYTHING possible? In other words, can I be confident about my antivirus returning a 0 threat status, or is there potential for error, and there are in fact viruses still on my computer?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
It is going back in time if you will. Anything you installed or updated on your computer software will be as it was on the date that restore point was made! So, if you installed a program after the restore point it will be gone when you go back to that restore point. Same with video drivers and such.
And yes, do a total scan to make sure there are no viruses present!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS