virus won't even allow power button to come on

Rooster0007

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
Downloaded a movie. In a hurry, didn't scan but checked to see if it had video & not just audio. It did. Turned computer off. Hours later, I turned it on & got as far as my 2 BIOS passwords before it started acting up & refused to boot. Restarted twice & was cut off quicker each time (almost instantly) Terrified, I turned it off. Then not even the power button comes on

unplug your drive and clear your cmos. if the pc boots and sits in the bios fine. turn the pc off. plug in the hard drive and boot from a virus recovery dvd or usb stick and remove the virus before you boot into windows again. you can get any of the recovery disk fro many of the big anti virus comps free.

Rooster0007

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016

Thanx 4 the timeliness. Unfortunately, locale has me unable to immediately attempt the solutions, but will post what works, or not. The DELL has a power light on the battery too. It's still way up. Was using battery power when it happened. I've removed the hard drive & am scanning it per a friend. Rootkit scans... There were some problems removed. I seem to be steered to try the 'on/off hold it down for a while trick.' I'm miles from my precious DELL (It needs me soooo bad. I can tell), but will try STAT! or ASAP. I agree it sounds like a power supply prob, but went straight from powered into the wall to using the battery & then it began. VERY VERY fast acting virus & VERY deadly. Any1 w/o experience would be sunk. I have a smidge, but had to get an IT pro on it & we're working on it. He's scanning the drive, I'm whining on the internet as I scan ever hopefully. THANX 4 the support. Makes ya feel part of the human community when ya need it most!

Rooster0007

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
Can't say it's a BIOS boot prob. It let me get my let me get my passwords in twice & then would act up. I shut it down, recognizing the problem as a fast acting virus (I realized I'd opened a file w/o a scan when pressed into hurrying up). Turned it on for a friend w/IT experience to see & absolutely nothing... not even the power light. Been DOA since.