No sound after display/graphics driver crash. (Need Help)

VortXChannel

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
So I'm mining on my Windows 10 PC right now and I fumbled around with some overclocking too. Earlier today after fumbling around, the display crashed and recovered however, when I tried to play sound, I couldn't hear anything. Windows showed that sound was being played too! I do have a Soundblaster ZX sound card. I am really getting annoyed because music=life and I can't experience that right now. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Specs
i7 4770k oc 4.3ghz

980ti oc 1502, 3953 (stable now)

enough power

12gb ram

harrysmellington

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Tell me, what is the setup for your sound system? It seems that your hardware is fine so far as the device is recognised by the system and the drivers have not reported failure (assuming the sound card bothers to check the outputs). It is most likely something after the outputs of your sound card.

VortXChannel

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

what do you mean by the setup? As in the order of the devices or something else?

harrysmellington

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

Exactly. include devices and connections.

VortXChannel

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

Alright, starting from the sound card, I have the included volume knob connected, on the volume knob, i've connected my fostex x-00 headphones and my logitech speakers with their own volume knob. That's all I have. The connections are all by the cables that they've come with.

VortXChannel

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

Hmmm... Seems like its the volume knob part that broke, I never thought of that, also why would it suddenly just break? Even weirder is when I tap my headphones, I can hear the tap through my speakers??? Anyways I know the problem now and I guess I'll buy a new sound card or whatever... Do you have any suggestions? USB Based? PCIe card? Something more exotic? Thank you man.

VortXChannel

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
shortly after plugging it into the soundcard that broke too xD. So now I do need a new thingy. I would need 2 audio outputs and optionally an audio input would be nice too.

harrysmellington

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016
Are you sure the wiring on the knob is correct? I mean it sounds like your headphones are wired to your speakers. Also have you made sure the wiring on the sound card is correct. I only ask cause I wouldn't want you going off to buy a sound card if it's just some user error!

In any case, I have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX and it has served me well. However I do kinda regret getting an internal sound card (for clarification a sound card is a DAC (digital to analogue converter) and an amp). You can find external versions, which are referred to as a sound card or interface, often used for recording music.

VortXChannel

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

It's been in my system for like 3 or 4 years now so I'm pretty sure it was set up properly. I think I might just stick with on board until I can get a really DAC and amp. Thanks for your help.