Laptop for programming/gaming/game development

SARCASTROPHE

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
So I'm studying computer engineering and want to have sort of a side project (game development).
I am looking to buy a laptop that fits programming (I know, decent processor will do), gaming and game development.
I'm looking for suggestions about models and brands.
Here is some information to take in account:
- Portability does NOT matter
- I'm not willing to buy apple products
- The laptop requires a graphics card other than the one integrated in the CPU
- Good cooling and battery life would be nice, but not a big "must"
- I'm looking for a 17.3" screen, but can be persuaded to use a 15.6". Also would like for it to be an IPS, at least 1080p@60Hz

Thanks in advance for responses :)

Solution
I'll try to give you some hints in general based on my own experience:

1) 512GB or larger SSD (game sources are LARGE (code, raw graphics, raw audio etc.) and you want to have them on SSD)
2) at least 16GB RAM
3) i7 cpu

This will cover most of your general Visual Studio torture for development itself. From my OLD (Dx9 old) experience, nVidia cards were better for debugging, but I am not sure about current models

4) second screen - you'll need this when you run debugger on gfx card, when you step on breakpoint, gfx card cannot render further (so whole your video output of said card is frozen) - you run one screen from cpu graphics and one screen from video card, allowing you to actually debug.

5) good ergonomic chair, keyboard...

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
I'll try to give you some hints in general based on my own experience:

1) 512GB or larger SSD (game sources are LARGE (code, raw graphics, raw audio etc.) and you want to have them on SSD)
2) at least 16GB RAM
3) i7 cpu

This will cover most of your general Visual Studio torture for development itself. From my OLD (Dx9 old) experience, nVidia cards were better for debugging, but I am not sure about current models

4) second screen - you'll need this when you run debugger on gfx card, when you step on breakpoint, gfx card cannot render further (so whole your video output of said card is frozen) - you run one screen from cpu graphics and one screen from video card, allowing you to actually debug.

5) good ergonomic chair, keyboard, mouse... you are about to dedicate thousands of hours, your body parts will thank you later

Can't think of anything else right now.

Solution

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/11702-laptops-nvidia-1060/

Here is a large list of good laptops that will do what you need. Also try to get a lighter laptop as when you do need to take it with you you don't want a extremely heavy metal brick so to say hanging of your shoulder(s). Trust me on that one.

SARCASTROPHE

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I'll address your comments one by one

1) A 512GB SSD (at least from my experience) comes at a massive cost compared to 256GB. Is it that necessary?
2) Yes, 16GB seems to be the sweet spot for RAM and we shouldn't need more than that for many years
3) Usually processors that come with this type of laptop bring a 6700HQ or 7700HQ along, so that shouldn't be a big issue
4) The second screen should be something simple like a 24" TN monitor right?
5) About ergonomy. Well, I'm buying a laptop so I'll be working mostly out of the comfort of my room. However thanks for the advice, I'll keep posture in mind :)

Also I had a model in mind, an MSI GT72VR 7RD. The specs are:
- i7 7700HQ processor
- GTX 1060 6GB graphics card
- 16GB RAM 2400MHz
- 17.3" IPS 1080p 120Hz screen
- 256GB M.2 SATA SSD
- 1TB SATA HDD 7200RPM

The price for this laptop is 1499 euros, which seems like good value to me.
Thanks in advance for your reply!

Thats a good laptop. Also you NEED a ips monitor or better as when making a game the colors need to be PERFECT. I have 4 diffrent screens I use to see how something looks when I'm texturing my models to be sure that everything looks good even on garbage cheap monitors.

SARCASTROPHE

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Awesome list :)
As to a light laptop, I already carry around a 17.3" brick and it really doesn't bother me much.
Thanks for the info!

SARCASTROPHE

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

SSD: Yup, 256GB won't do, you'll be struggling with space. Imagine Windows, Visual Studio, likely Adobe Photoshop, game or two (you mention you want to play some too), uni projects and then the repository for the game itself (likely git)... It grows up really fast and really crowded on 256GB drive. At worst case you can roll there and back again stuff, offload textures, sound samples etc. to HDD, but in the end you'll be struggling (game repo easily grows over 80GB itself).

Screen: for "let's try it out" project, anything capable of 1080p will do, for developing, for project you want to publish, you'll need calibrated screen and that's really costly (Eizo, NEC... pro lines). Tbh for now I'd take just about any screen being you and upgrade later if/when you decide to go into game development more than "I want to try it out"... In case you figure out game development is not your cup of coffee this would be the only part where the investment wouldn't return.