Broken BCD after wake up from sleep

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017
So I had a ton of issues (such as http://) and decided to fresh install windows 10 in Legacy mode to see if problems would go away.

So far the error on the linked post did not come up again so thats good news, however everytime I sleep my pc, when I wake it up it displays a black screen, nothing else. Only solution is to hard shutdown via the case button. Upon restart, I get this:

http://imgur.com/a/Yoxl3

I restarted and it booted fine, but I would like to fix the sleep issue.

Any ideas?

PD: This sleep behaviour also happened on UEFI.

Solution
I don't think its broken, or it wouldn't show up in windows and would likely cause other problems as well (errors I mean).

It works in 2nd slot so that "fixes" that issue but creates another mystery. I would ask on gigabyte forums as they made motherboard and would probably know answer to this. Just for future reference in case you buy another M.2 drive

Good thinking checking it before ordering another drive :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
fun fact, the solutions I offered in that thread would be the same ones I offer here too...

you might want to check the drive itself out as getting BCD errors on MBR & GPT makes me think its the drive... or you need to upgrade your sata drivers or check the cables attached to drive itself.

New BIOS on motherboard might help as well.

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

No sata drivers required as the SSD is an intel 600p nvme m.2 drive. No cable either as it uses the m.2 slot.

And yeah I'm also starting to believe it might be the drive itself which I somehow screwed up with the macOS thingy. That would suck since its quite an expensive drive.

I might backup my HDD, fully wipe it and install Windows there with the SSD unplugged and see how that goes.. If the issue remains then I guess its gotta do with some other component? Would this be a good idea to see wether the issue lies on the drive or something else? Any other alternative?

Thanks for the constant help btw.

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

Actually I resetted the CMOS multiple times so I doubt it has something to do with the bios. Unless I broke the motherboard somehow.

Not an asus motherboard.

Gigabyte z170x ud3
ASUS ROG GTX 1070
i7 6700
intel 600p ssd nvme m.2 256gb drive
Toshiba 1tb HDD
Corsair 3200mhz 16gb RAM
620w Seasonic PSU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
resetting BIOS isn't same as upgrading it. Check your version number as the current one is F22

new versions can make things run better as SSD might be newer than current UEFI version.

I wonder what made me think it was Asus in last thread.
So far I know the ssd is compatible with motherboard so its not something that obvious.

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

Contact intel why? The link on the first post was easily solved by the original poster.

As for the second link, the windows installer finds my drive with no issues, what did you want to say with that link?

Thanks!

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

Yup, currently running F22.

Should I just backup my HDD, wipe it and install Windows there and see if that fixes it? Any other idea before I proceed?

Colif

Win 11 Master

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

Hmm how can I check which slot is it in? My mobo has 2 m.2 slots, one below the gpu and the other on the bottom of the cpu cooler (the one i'm using).

Pictures of SSD placement and SATA HDD connector (no clue if it helps).

http://imgur.com/a/exdwA

Will run the nvme tool in a bit.

If nothing of the above works, I'll unplug the ssd and install only on HDD and post results.

I'm tired of starting fresh damn!

Colif

Win 11 Master

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

The issue persists even when disconnecting the sata HDD so I doubt thats the issue.

I installed Windows on my normal HDD to see wether it was the drive or not and it seems it was, as I don't have any problems whatsoever on the HDD, so my guess is I somehow broke my nvme SSD, which sucks. Performed a full scan with the intel tool you linked me but it found nothing wrong unfortunately.

I might be getting a Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD , think this is a solid replacement for my 600p?

Colif

Win 11 Master

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

Ask them what? PC works fine when using only the HDD and both the HDD and SSD worked fine together before I decided to mess with the macOS thingy. My guess is I somehow screwed up the drive when trying to hackintosh.

By knowing the system works flawless with the SSD unplugged and only the HDD plugged I can most likely conclude the problem lies in the drive and not the motherboard, correct? Even more taking into consideration the 4-5 times I cleared CMOS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay, fine. Just trying to avoid spending money on a drive that is seen as fine by Intel software.

Clover is removed off motherboard, and since you formatted it completely when reinstalling as MBR, it should also be gone off Drive. It shouldn't have done any physical damage to NVME.

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

I also have the impression the drive is just fine since it gets detected, I am able to format it, etc. but at the same time I also think I have covered every possible solution both provided by you and on the internet, so unless you have some other tip I am seriously out of ideas to try :(.

I literally deleted the drive making it unalocatted space and then installed Window over it, that should be a 1000000% fresh installation, if the issue persists even after that I don't really know what else could be going on :(.

Poroto

Reputable
Jan 9, 2017

So this got weirder.

I was LITERALLY at this point: http://imgur.com/a/QU8af and before clicking "place order" I thought swapping the SSD from the m.2 slot below the CPU (where it was located), to the one below the GPU and see what happened, I tried everything so one last thing shouldnt hurt. I initially used the below the CPU slot to avoid heat from the GPU being transferred to the SSD.

Booted with no issues nor errors, slept and woke up like a charm. I have already shut down and slept like 5 times in a row with no problems. Is this finally fixed??

That means my other m.2 slot is broken or what? This is so damn weird I can't make any sense out of this.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think its broken, or it wouldn't show up in windows and would likely cause other problems as well (errors I mean).

It works in 2nd slot so that "fixes" that issue but creates another mystery. I would ask on gigabyte forums as they made motherboard and would probably know answer to this. Just for future reference in case you buy another M.2 drive

Good thinking checking it before ordering another drive :)

Solution